Why God Made KW Grunts .....

…..for days like yesterday. The plan was to anchor up on some deeper structure for large Mangrove Snapper, and maybe a Gag Grouper or two. The seas and wind were quite a bit higher than forecast, and the horizon looked pretty nasty - not quite camel humps, but white caps and thundershowers. So in about 45’ out of New Pass, plans changed and I anchored over some good looking bottom.

The bite with Key West Grunts was immediate. Mixed in with the grunts were porgies, a few mangos (not much size), and a smattering of small Red Grouper. Spanish Mackerel also made a showing at mid-water hitting red jig heads with shrimp.

On the table, nothing can beat Key West Grunts (well maybe flatties, or gags, or hogs, or mangos, or pomps……). Anyway, they’re near the top of the list, and they are what’s for dinner tonight.

The photo shows a nice, fat grunt pushing 14 ½”.

Replies

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Those are very good eating fish- blackened, fried, fish tacos, any way you like it. The only minor problem is the labor required to filet enough of them to feed a group of people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • goddfaddagoddfadda Posts: 111 Officer
    Get an electric fillet knife and you can fly thru them with professional looking fillets much like the "tilapia" ones you see at publix that were imported from a country I can't pronounce.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    goddfadda wrote: »
    Get an electric fillet knife and you can fly thru them with professional looking fillets much like the "tilapia" ones you see at publix that were imported from a country I can't pronounce.

I need to do that and try it out. Admittedly, I am not the most skillful filet artist. I am usually stuck cleaning the boat, flushing the engines, and cleaning the rods- so someone else is usually doing the fileting.

We did get tilapia once or twice from the grocery store- before I read the posts and articles on how they were raised. How disguisting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,562 Captain
    I had the same yesterday out of St Pete. We loaded up on them
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    One of our techs that works with me takes all I can bring in for him .BTW he is from Key West
  • BluefinBluefin Posts: 115 Officer
    An electric fillet knife is something I have threatened to buy, but never got around to getting one. It could make quick work of cleaning a bunch of grunts.
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    thats my kw cobia bait.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,675 Moderator
    Luna Sea wrote: »
    .BTW he is from Key West

He knows what he's talking about. Grunts rule.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • goddfaddagoddfadda Posts: 111 Officer
    I find the electric knives work best on fish with flat backbones... grunts, snappers, and smaller sheeps. Just one pass cuts the ribs and everything nice and clean but preserves the gut cavity. Can usually get both fillets off in less than a minute and I use a standard fillet knife to skin them.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,101 Officer
    Great eating and great Gag bait
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!