Trolling Motor Recommendation for 189

tspotornotspotorno Posts: 10 Greenhorn
I am close to placing an order and have a question on the trolling motor.

I am going with the Lowrance HDS12 and I see on their site that the new Motorguide XI5 will communicate with the Lowrance units kinda like the Hummingbird and MK.

I'm looking for a 36v system.

Does the MK ST 101/IPilot work at all with the Lowrance unit or should I order the Motorguide, and hope that it is released in time for delivery...

Is there another brand / type that is good, and interfaces with the Lowrance unit?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,228 Officer
    The Motor Guide is a great troller but it is still unproven new technology with their new control system. The Ipilot is unavailable now also because a production change in the 36 volt motors .
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • UnderslotUnderslot Posts: 370 Officer
    why 36? I have a 24 on mine and its just fine. I prefer the flexible shaft of the MK and personally up here in North Florida the whole remote thing is a waste of time. Not sure where you fish but if there are underwater hazards you might want to rethink your decision. I ended up taking my iPilot off after it let me down a few times.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 491 Deckhand
    Underslot wrote: »
    why 36? I have a 24 on mine and its just fine. I prefer the flexible shaft of the MK and personally up here in North Florida the whole remote thing is a waste of time. Not sure where you fish but if there are underwater hazards you might want to rethink your decision. I ended up taking my iPilot off after it let me down a few times.

I get a lot of use out of the Ipilot in South Florida and the Keys. So far (second generation) it has never let me down.

I prefer a bendable stainless shaft to a (not)unbreakable shaft but that's only a secondary factor: reliability and capability in the control system is much more important.
  • reelgrimmreelgrimm MiamiPosts: 458 Deckhand
    I regret big time not going 36v on my tm. I recently replaced my 24v for the ipilot and when fishing a lot of current at bridges and inlets like I do, I blow through batts. I broke my own rule "always max out". More paur!
    My Youtube Channel
    Boat: 2015 25' Competition Single 300 Yamaha
    Latest Fishing Report - Snook on the Beach

• dwyermwdwyermw Posts: 333 Deckhand
    Without any question, without any doubt whatsoever, go with a 36 v Motor Guide. Why? first , you can run a Motor Guide shallower than you can a MinnKota (3 blade diameter is smaller vs. larger two blade on the MinnKota) . With a 36V, you can literally run the bridges in the Keys during a heavy tide flow and hold position vertically over tarpon. You turn an 19' flats boat into a predator machine with a 36 v motor. The single biggest mistake, yes, even compared to underpowering an outboard, is to under power your TM. My ninth boat is an Action Craft 1890SE which is an absolute flats killing machine with a 36V Motor guide hand held.
    2009 Skeeter ZX2250 current
    2007 Sea Hunt 220 Triton (sold)
    Skeeter ZX24V, 300 HP Yamaha (sold)
    1890 SE Action Craft, 175 HP Evinrude Ficht (sold)
    Hewes Tailfisher (sold)
    Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5
    well put dwyermw...
    My Youtube Channel

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 935 Officer
    dwyermw wrote: »
    Without any question, without any doubt whatsoever, go with a 36 v Motor Guide. Why? first , you can run a Motor Guide shallower than you can a MinnKota (3 blade diameter is smaller vs. larger two blade on the MinnKota) . With a 36V, you can literally run the bridges in the Keys during a heavy tide flow and hold position vertically over tarpon. You turn an 19' flats boat into a predator machine with a 36 v motor. The single biggest mistake, yes, even compared to underpowering an outboard, is to under power your TM. My ninth boat is an Action Craft 1890SE which is an absolute flats killing machine with a 36V Motor guide hand held.

I hold current fine in a big current + wind using a 24 V on my 189. No problem at Bahia Honda fishing the tarpon run and holding on the gps. Never any issue with a 24v running all day on my boat going back for 15 yrs. 36v may make you feel better but not necessary.
  • tspotornotspotorno Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Thanks for all the input. Ultimately, I decided on the MK 36 IPilot. Some people swear by it and others hate it. Figured if I didn't get it I'd one day wish I did.

Best not to hold back on a purchase like this, nothing worse than thinking I wish I did...

Just placed my order for a 189 with Frank. Very excited. Cannot wait for some build picts. I'll post them as I get them.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,228 Officer
    Congrats. Post em as you get them.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    congrats pal
    My Youtube Channel