Boat Ramp to Gulf on Homoassa River

Looking for suggestions on a ramp to put my 15ft Whaler. I heard there was a public ramp at MaCraes on the river. Never been on the river and would like to make my way out to the gulf.

Thanks,

Replies

• mango mikemango mike Posts: 230 Deckhand
    yes , and it is a nice ramp too. the problem is it gets very busy and congested on weekends. get there early inorder to good good close parking.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,648 Captain
    mango mike wrote: »
    yes , and it is a nice ramp too. the problem is it gets very busy and congested on weekends. get there early inorder to good good close parking.

I just got back from MacRaes and we didn't have to wait to either put in the boat or take it out. Lot wasn't full either. Lately it has been somewhat quiet on the week-ends due to school being in session and summer vacations are over.

I don't do week-ends but I went out to help a buddy work on some stuff out on the river. During the week it won't be crowded for sure.

Follow the channel markers, get there early as mentioned if the week-end, and you'll be fine.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,051 AG
    Billy wrote: »
    I just got back from MacRaes and we didn't have to wait to either put in the boat or take it out. Lot wasn't full either. Lately it has been somewhat quiet on the week-ends due to school being in session and summer vacations are over.

I don't do week-ends but I went out to help a buddy work on some stuff out on the river. During the week it won't be crowded for sure.

Follow the channel markers, get there early as mentioned if the week-end, and you'll be fine.

Bill

Being hot as he77 is another reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,648 Captain
    Flash wrote: »
    Being hot as he77 is another reason.

Yeah...that too. :)

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • junglejimjunglejim Posts: 60 Greenhorn
    Thanks
  • THEFERMANATORTHEFERMANATOR Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Which is a good ramp on the river that is pretty much fresh water? I want to launch the pontton boat, but it sits on a painted steel trailer so I try to launch in the freshwater. I used Chass last time, but when low tide hits I'm stuck until it comes back in.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,298 Captain
    Riverhaven and McCrae's are pretty fresh when the tide is ebbing. The freshwater floats on top of the salt.

They are brackish on the flood, but not salty enough to worry much about a painted trailer. Just flush it off when you get home.

I've checked this with a salinity meter.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Riverhaven and McCrae's are pretty fresh when the tide is ebbing. The freshwater floats on top of the salt.

They are brackish on the flood, but not salty enough to worry much about a painted trailer. Just flush it off when you get home.

I've checked this with a salinity meter.
    ^ Dead on correct.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,525 Captain
    With football season getting started on weekends, the ramps should be getting back to normal....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • tekmunkitekmunki Posts: 668 Officer
    Redbonz wrote: »
    With football season getting started on weekends, the ramps should be getting back to normal....

Absolutely... heck, I'll be at the 'noles game on Saturday. ;)
    sigsmallx.jpg
    Q: How much fishing equipment can a man have before his wife throws him out?
    A: I do not know for sure; however, I believe that the experiment is almost complete!