StarTron

tilemantileman Posts: 1,067 Officer
hey bill,question

I have been using star tron in my Trophy for yrs and have never had a fuel issue, I have a 150 Merc Salt Water 2 stroke carbed motor and my prop exhaust is clean as a whistle...not a lick of carbon, great stuff, Here's my question...recently in Cape Coral fl we had a day of rain, off and on all day, 3 or 4 days later I went out to start my motor ( on a trailer in my yard ) cause I've been laid up w/ a shoulder injury and have not used it in months. I had approx 30 gals of gas in my 101 gal tank and when I got up on the boat I discovered last time I added 6 gals of gas in her I forgot to put the gas cap back on! now I had 3 or 4 oz, of Tron in it already and w/ the 6 gals I put another 2 oz, so theres prob a min. of 6 to 8 oz of Tron in the tank. Don,t know how much water got into her, when I look at the fuel gauge it looks like not a big increase in the amount its hard to say, so I figure when I fill her up I'd throw a full bottle or maybe 2 of Tron in her....I also have a Racor water sep. on the fuel line, do you think I should just get rid of the 30 gals of gas or do you think my plan of adding 70 more gals and more Tron will be OK, I thought carbed motors were more forgiving. What do ya think?
Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!

Replies

• BillatstarbriteBillatstarbrite Posts: 508 Officer
    I'd add fresh E10 fuel (it can actually "hold" A bit of water) and a bottle of Star Tron, then run the engine.

No product will magically remove water (the ones that claim to do so are actually alcohol or n alcohol cousin such as ethylene glycol(antifreeze) isopropyl alcohol, butyl cellosol (dry cleaning solution) methanol or something along those lines., They emulsify water, which is not the same as removing it. Emulsifiers clump water molecules toghether which can lead to carbon deposits, which is partly why the FAA classifies emulsifying agents as contamiannts, forbidding their use in aviation fuel (gravity is a ***** when your engine packs it in at 10,000 feet).

Star Tron enzymes break apart clumps of water molecules so that the moisture is dispersed throughout the fuel. It can be vaporized along with the fuel charge if you breeak it apart into tiny bits (think of a spray bottle over a campfire versus a garden hose)
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Get the water out of the tank before anything! Ethanol does absorb water but I wouldn't chance it. Modern fuel is garbage. Pump it out, check for water (discard any water that is seperated out) and put the fuel in your truck/car.
    Signature
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,067 Officer
    thanks
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 586 Officer
    Ethanol will absorb water, and the water ethanol absorbs will burn just fine. It's the water that ethanol doesn't absorb that you have to worry about. So the question is how much water do you have.
    Emulsifed water doesn't burn but it does can lead to carbon deposits. Emulsifying is the act of clumpng the water together. There's a reason the FAA classifies emulsifiers as contaminants, forbidding their use in AvGas.
    Breaking the water apart into tiny bits that can be vaporized is the best way to get rid of it while the engine is running.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,354 Moderator
    Won't the Raycor water seperator remove any true water and the additive get the rest ?
    Run it , check filter,run it , repete as neccessary. :shrug
    "You'll get your weather"
  • screamin seamanscreamin seaman Posts: 1,492 Officer
    Water in fuel also decreases octane rating.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/gasoline_octane_and_ethanol_E10.html
    Signature
    Yes, water in fuel is a bad thing.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,714 Captain
    I'd add fresh E10 fuel (it can actually "hold" A bit of water) and a bottle of Star Tron, then run the engine.

No product will magically remove water (the ones that claim to do so are actually alcohol or n alcohol cousin such as ethylene glycol(antifreeze) isopropyl alcohol, butyl cellosol (dry cleaning solution) methanol or something along those lines., They emulsify water, which is not the same as removing it. Emulsifiers clump water molecules toghether which can lead to carbon deposits, which is partly why the FAA classifies emulsifying agents as contamiannts, forbidding their use in aviation fuel (gravity is a ***** when your engine packs it in at 10,000 feet).

Star Tron enzymes break apart clumps of water molecules so that the moisture is dispersed throughout the fuel. It can be vaporized along with the fuel charge if you breeak it apart into tiny bits (think of a spray bottle over a campfire versus a garden hose)

I agree for what its worth. Yes any amount of water is not good, but that was true 50 yrs ago right? I have a 150 yammy 4 stroke (06) and a 90 yammy 2 stroke (05). Both boats have sat without use more than once for 6 months. Always put a shot of Startron in both. Did I need it? Who knows, all I know is the only problem I ever had was on the Palm Beach with the 90, the vent flapper stuck open and loaded the tank with water, I mean so much the water seperator bowl looked almost like milk. Everyome b---hed about E-10. I didn't buy it! That amount of water wouldn't run in anything! Yes, in that case I had to pump the tank, but would of with non-ethanol as well. Other than that I never had on bit of trouble. this is 6 yrs, 2 motors! You probably have cured your problem by now but no more water than you got from the cap being off will never show up on the gauge. I am running non-ethanol in both now but at $1.50 a gallon more not sure how long I will. The 90 does SEEM to have better power, honestly can't see any diff with the 150. If non-Ethanol was .40-.50 a gallon more like some say it would be a no brainer. Just my opinion. I have no idea why my E-10 doesn't phase seperate. My maec even said how great my 150 looked inside when he changed the balancer. Signs it runs on reg, I said it's never had a drop of non-ethanol at that time. Because of Startron??? Thats who I blame!!!! LOL
  • MACDMACD Lee CountyPosts: 4,797 Captain
    Water is 2 parts hydrogen and 1 part oxygen..in its atomized state it is very combustible
    with no carbon deposits, it is actually a hot burning cleaning agent. The problem is,
    as Optimistic Angler mentioned, how much water (H2o)is mixed with the fuelant.
    That's where products like Star Tron and similar products can "emulsify" the H2O molecules
    with the fuel to a burnable level. If you have to much water in your fuel system.....there is no "magic " product.
    Star Tron is NOT an emulsifier. Star Tron is actually a de-emulsifier. Alcohol in its many forms is an emulsifying agent. Emulsification is not the same as "removing" btw.

There's a reason the FAA considers emulsifying agents to be contaminants, forbidding their use in aviation fuel. I've got an SAE report you need to read describing GM's horrors when they experimented with emulsified fuel.

There truly are no magic products. Anything that claims to magically remove water or make it burn is, to be polite, full of poo. Water won't burn, no matter how you slice, dice or mince it, and you cannot make it simply disappear. The products that typically make these claims are alcohols of one form or another (if it ends in "ol" it's an alcohol). You can emulsify water to make it appear to have gone away, but a tiny pinch of salt will cause the water to drop right back out again. It will also drop out if you let it sit a while. Not unlike Grandma's oil & vinegar salad dressing; shake it up, let it sit, it goes back to two components.
    No alcohol, oil or emulsifiers in Star Tron. The formula is simple: a fuel base that is used as a suspension for the blend of active-ingredient enzymes. You could make it yourself if you knew the recipe, but like the recipe for Coke and KFC, that's not gonna happen.
  • PhinaticalPhinatical Posts: 864 Officer
    I was washing my boat after filling up my 150gal tank one day and as I was finishing up I walked down the gunwale with the hose spraying and noticed water running right into the gas filler hole where I forgot to put the cap back on, after putting a bottle of StarTron in it. I was freaking out because I was headed 70+ miles offshore the next day and would probably go through 125gals of gas. Then I remembered Bill's post here about StarTron and how you cannot over-treat. So I dumped in another bottle. I then went and got two new 10micron Yamaha fuel-water separator filters and a filter wrench to take with me. Mine hadn't been changed in about a year but with running StarTron all the time I figured they shouldn't have much water in them. Now I had no idea how much water ran down that neck but I was pretty sure between the separators and the StarTron I would give it a chance to do its thing and either make a believer out of me or a critic. I hardly slept that night wondering if I was doing the right thing. I had two filters on, two extras, and two bottles of StarTron in the tank. When I was readying the boat for the trip the next morning I went ahead and dumped a THIRD bottle of StarTron in the tank, again, remembering that post from Bill on here about not worrying about over-treating. So off we went. I ran 128gals of gas that day high-speed trolling for wahoo and those engines never skipped a beat! When I got home I spun the filters off and turned them upside down in a oil catch pan. I knew the gas would run out and evaporate and the water would be left behind. I was really expecting probably half of them to be water. Well the next day after the gas evaporated I probably had, MAYBE, a tablespoon of water in the pan from BOTH filters. I also checked the water separator on each engine and there was NO water in them. The ONLY explanation of this much water being demulsified and dispersed in the gasoline and then burned through the motors without a hiccup is the StarTron. It made me a believer for sure and I do not put gas in the tank without StarTron. I have sold more people on using it than I can count with this story of how it saved me from having 150gals of precious gasoline pumped out and a canceled wahoo charter. I found it on sale once and ended up buying 15 bottles. I cleaned out two Wal-Marts and an Academy of what they had. I am down to 2 bottles now so I guess I need to restock. Money WELL SPENT though. So, I say dump a few bottles in, fill up the tank with fresh gas the rest of the way, keep a spare racor with you, and go enjoy your boat.
    Holy crap!! You just won the Testimonial of the Month :)
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,067 Officer
    hey you dont have to sell me! Ive had my water incidence also and added lots of tron and my motor ran not so great for a short period...mabe 1 -2 mls then it lite up and has run great since. Im a firm believer, I dont even have any carbon on the inside of my prop and I run a 2 stroke