Home Photography Corner

How do you use your UWA?

ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
I recently picked up an 11-18 Tamron for less than KEH will pay me for it so I figured I would give it a go. Not the best lens in the field by a long shot but for what I paid for it I figure it is a decent way to get my feet wet. One reason I bought it was to be able to get more of a certain interior chamber at Fort Clinch but I also like the much reduced barrel distortion at 18 over my 18-105.

Those of you who own UWA lenses, when do you tend to use them and where does it become the "go to"?

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Interiors, Canyonlands N.P., Jellystone, close to the rock for a seascape, Close to the flowers in the CO mountain tundra, streetpainting events where there is not a lot of space to move around the art but I need to get it all in and video.

Is there a more specific question? Thanks.

Oh, and for what it is worth, I would trade the Tamron for the Tokina every day, but that is just me.
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    I know the Tokina is a much better lens but I paid less than 1/2 of what a used Tokina would cost. If I find I use the lens much I will probably trade it off for a Tokina at that point but for now the best in the world wouldn't make much difference. I know I got what I paid for.

I guess maybe I should have asked where you used it that you didn't really think you would have. The use for video is one purpose that surprised me. I'm sort of at the point where I have the lens, now what? If that makes any sense.

I think I need to take some shots with the thing much lover to the ground and up close on objects and just play around with it some.
    Superb video lens. Go look at the video clips on all the videos I do for Jennifer. Almost always the 12-24 at around 14-20mm in a D7000.

Almost all movies are shot wide. Besides almost all "good" video editing applications have great zoom in functions for when it is time to get tight.

Now for stills, a UWA is a new skill that needs discipline to use correctly, IMHO. A UWA is not a "get it all in" but it does get used that way for interiors, etc. Train yourself to get inches away from the foreground subject and let the expanse open up from there. That is what a UWA is for.
    I agree that getting it all in is what they are often used for and not necessarily to good effect. I mention the interior at Fort Clinch only because that is one place I KNEW I needed a wider lens to pull off the shot I wanted. That was the first time I really thought that I needed a wider lens. I could have attempted to stitch multiple exposures together but it is a brick interior that would make it far too obvious.

I also want to re-shoot this tree without having the limb coming into the frame which should be possible.
    5307357927_ba3c590365_z.jpg
    CSC_1757cropsepadj by Flcrutch, on Flickr
    Tokina 12-24 @ 14mm

EXIF: ISO = 320, 3 seconds @ f/14

WUk3BmXl.jpg
    I'm too lazy to get those early AM shots, need to get over that issue. How long was the exposure?

Mine was shot at 11mm, 1/400th @F8 ISO-200.
    Chuckc wrote: »
    I'm too lazy to get those early AM shots, need to get over that issue. How long was the exposure?

Mine was shot at 11mm, 1/400th @F8 ISO-200.

Metadata added to #7, above.
    Nice shot. There is some rocky shoreline about 90 minutes south of here that I would like to shoot a similar image at but I guess I have been too lazy up to this point to get out of bed and do it.
    A few more I found quickly. Jennifer street painting in Jupiter last November. I had one of the cameras set up for video and has the 12-24 mounted for that. I just grabbed the camera and snapped a few toward the end of the day. As you can see the foreground is very important. In the two with the chalk box(es) I was inches from the box. The overall head shot was an "I had to get it all in", something I advocate against. However, in this case I believe it worked out because there is lots of story to tell in this photo. Jennifer teaching the kids. The kids interest. The art behind Jennifer. I am not sure the same story could have been told without showing the art, which is an important component to the story, the reason she was there at all.

HkdkzDwl.jpg

Ug9B8wAl.jpg

82y9nuAl.jpg
    Did you use a speedlight on shot 1? Looks like it. They all work quite well.
    Hand held off to the left SB900 via CLS.