Rio Quickshooter Boonefish Line

redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
Been working on my cast the last few weeks and making good progress thanks to a pro or two. :)

It was suggested to me, to possibly try the Rio Quickshooter Bonefish line. So, I did and I LOVED it, it seemed to float higher than anything I had used before. I could not belive how it NEVER tangled even without stretching and shot like a cannon. It also loaded at a very close range.

I had been using WULFF for the prior six months but will be sticking with this from now on.

Just passing the word,.....

Replies

• Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    That's great Jim.....fly lines really are a personal choice and I am glad that the Rio suits your particular needs and casting style.

My love affair with the Wulff line actually had its beginnings on fresh water trout streams in the Ozarks. The long forward taper really allowed for a delicate presentation when necessary.

Then I moved back to Florida and all but forgot about the Wulff, going back to my old Sci. Anglers lines that I had used before and had gotten accustomed to. It wasn't until I started bonefishing in Mexico, (and during the low Winter time tides) that I thought to use the Wulff again. In southern Mexico, the flats are all caprock, but they have a layer of very fine white silt that covers them. It would remind one of diatomaceous earth, it is so fine. Anyway, the tides are lower and the bones cruise the top of the silt, looking for marine worms and whatever. YOU might be standing in knee deep water.....but these bones are cruising in 8 inches and boy can they be spooky! A little of that trout fishing know-how (and the Wulff line) has really come in handy.

So keep that Wulff line.....you may wish for it someday......like on windless late afternoons in the Summer, when the Keys bonefish seemingly cruise over just a few inches of water. Their dorsal fins and tails will show and yet these fish are cruising as well as feeding.
    .......Rick
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Mr. Rat

Thank you, for another one of your helpful replys! So I gather what you are saying, is that you like the Wulff for their delicate presentaion which is so important for bonefishing, correct Sir?

Most of my Wulff's are the "short head" which is 23'. With the shorter (maybe heavier head) would that still put them into the "delicate presentaion" cat.?

Thank you for your knowledge. I only hope that one day I could get down that way and hook into a nice bone.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    redjim wrote: »
    Mr. Rat

Thank you, for another one of your helpful replys! So I gather what you are saying, is that you like the Wulff for their delicate presentaion which is so important for bonefishing, correct Sir?

Most of my Wulff's are the "short head" which is 23'. With the shorter (maybe heavier head) would that still put them into the "delicate presentaion" cat.?

Thank you for your knowledge. I only hope that one day I could get down that way and hook into a nice bone.

Nooooo!! I am talking about the standard triangle taper. I can't remember but I think in a 5 wt., my head is 44 ft. long and it is almost ALL front taper....very long and gradual.

You have a Bermuda shorts line. I happen to be in the market for one of those in an 8 wt. If you decide to part with yours. It is more of a specialty line and I intend to use it in mangrove creeks (not a lot of casting room) for snook and baby tarpon. HOWEVER....this line might also work well for permit on the flats, especially during windy days (those are the best, anyway) For that (IMO) you'd want a 9 or 10 wt.
    .......Rick
    Yes Rat, I have spent a bit of time with the Bermuda shorts, believe I have 5 of them, it is a nice line for the type of fishing you speak of, no doubt. I fish a little cut that is 60 wide and only 90' deep and needed something really tight and it did a great job. Have pulled 36 of the silver fellows out of there in three months.

I can see where a short heavy head might not land nearly as smooth as your 44'. One of my problems was that l started learning to cast with this short head. Looking back now, I wish I would have found it later in life.

I will part with one of them for sure. Will send PM,...

Thanks Jim
  • ShallowExpectationsShallowExpectations Posts: 381 Deckhand
    I've been using the Rio Quickshooter the past couple weeks as well and I am really sold on it. Great line for what I do
  • SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 641 Officer
    Glad your casting better Jim, how long is the Rio head?
    35, Super D, somewhat better my friend. :)
  • ditzditz Posts: 33 Deckhand
    That short head might make it a good carp line. I might give it a try.