mercy hospital area

I'm planning to do some fishing/exploring around the Mercy Hospital area. Looking for a place to put-in in my kayak???? any help from the experts will be appreciated...thanks....Mike...

Replies

• yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    The closest launch point that doesn't involve a 3 - 4' seawall is Hobie Beach, which is the first spoil island on the way to Key Biscayne
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • LokiLoki Posts: 141 Officer
    Ah, my old stomping grounds. Haven't fished there in a while. Hobie Beach and Dinner Key Marina are the best launch points. Let us know how you do.
  • kayakmikeckayakmikec Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Thanks guys, New at Kayak fishing, been Kayaking for 2 years now, and started fishing a month ago, will post a report as soon as I try the area out. TIDE question, when the tide is coming in, is it traveling to Hobie beach (south to north). Like to time the outing with the tide going to the Mercy area, and going back to Hobie with the tide, Also what type of lures you gents use, I'm going to Bass Pro this weekend to get some (don't have any). Thanks......Mike
  • LokiLoki Posts: 141 Officer
    Tide is not an issue over there. The wind will dictate your drift. To answer your question, however, the incoming will slightly carry you north east. Can't go wrong with a doa shrimp or gulp pogy under a popping cork for the trout and mangrove snappers. If it’s flat, I'd use a chug bug for some top water strikes. The top water will also draw the juvenile cudas.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Mercy Hospital is about equidistant from Dinner Key and the Rickenbacker Causeway (maps to both on link below). The lot next to the Dinner Key ramp charges for parking, but you can park in the next lot south by the convention center for free. Rickenbacker is probably easier. The grass flats can get pretty shallow at low tide, so plan accordingly.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info