Kayak guide - Fort Lauderdale

Brian2828Brian2828 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
I'll be in Fort Lauderdale in early December and would like to hire a guide for kayak fishing. All of my fishing to date has been on the west coast and I'm curious to see what east coast kayak fishing is like. Does anyone have a recommendation for a guide?

Thanks!

Replies

• SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    Do you like inshore or offshore...day or night...and do you mind wind, rain, waves? What species would you like to hit? That'll help us point you in the right direction.
    Just saying in the most part, winter offshore is pretty rough, so a heads up is due. Pottymouth and myself were the only guys I knew going offshore throughout the slop all winter. I'm sure there's inshore if that's what you'd like.
  • Brian2828Brian2828 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I'm strictly inshore. I don't know much about fishing in the Lauderdale area. Snook, trout, and redfish have been my main focus from the kayak. I'm open to anything though you guys who go offshore have a lot more guts than me. I'm planning to do a night charter with family on a party boat, but it would be great to see what kayak fishing is like on the other coast.
    Can't quite help you with a guarentee on the inshore, know there are plenty on here who can point you the right direction though. For a drift boat, try a Sat night...instead of 4hrs for $35 you get 6hrs for $40 from 7p-1a. Think it's the Catch my drift, or shoot up to Pompano to the Helen S, or Fish City Pride...Capt Skip is a hell of a guy on there. Good luck.
  • joedaddyjoedaddy Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Unfortunately we have a MESS of freshwater invasives down here. Some of them are quite tastey and plentiful (i.e. atomic sunfish, oscars, snakeheads etc.). Some are so threatening to bass populations that they're actually illegal to release!
    I've been putting my inshore adventures on hold until winter time to let the heat and bugs simmer down and enjoy the summer seas.
    Remember that Fort Lauderdale is the "Venice of America" meaning that most inshore saltwater fishing is spent dodging yachts and powerboats. I recently relocated from Jacksonville where there are tons of salt flats and marshes that the kayakers have to themselves aside from a flats boat here and there, it's definitely been an adjustment period. Just south there are a few inshore areas to get away from the boats like West Lake park, etc. and further down into Biscayne Bay in Miami and of course the mangroves and shallows of FL Bay.

Best of luck and let us know when you're in the area (guide or not), there's always likely to be a fellow yakker with a spare boat ;)

-Joe
  • mangohunter11mangohunter11 Posts: 442 Officer
    Joel pitch the inshore fishing toward BigCatch kayaking fishing brotha!