Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing in Fort Myers Beach/Bonita Springs - late Sept/early Oct

I will be on vacation in Fort Myers Beach/Bonita Springs during the last week of Sept/first week of October and was planning on doing some fishing - both inland and near shore. Can anyone tell me if this is a good time of the year for fishing in this area and if so what might I expect to catch on some of the near shore reefs at that time of the year.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• o7cobiao7cobia Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Not a lot of near shore reefs around Ft Myers so inshore is your best bet . Snook season will be open then and the Reds are on the Bars. What do you want to catch the flats are full of fish then
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    o7cobia wrote: »
    Not a lot of near shore reefs around Ft Myers so inshore is your best bet . Snook season will be open then and the Reds are on the Bars. What do you want to catch the flats are full of fish then

Not a lot that hold fish he means.
  • Catch1Catch1 Posts: 54 Greenhorn

thanks for the reply. I looked at a Lee country reef map and noticed that there were several man made reefs located within 30 miles from shore. Also, I have previously read that some kingfish, pompano, and cobia sometime frequent the area, and was hoping that that would still be the case in late Sept. Would it be a good time of the year to fish for shark as well?
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    Catch1 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply. I looked at a Lee country reef map and noticed that there were several man made reefs located within 30 miles from shore. Also, I have previously read that some kingfish, pompano, and cobia sometime frequent the area, and was hoping that that would still be the case in late Sept. Would it be a good time of the year to fish for shark as well?

Shark fishing is excellent here right now. I have many friends that I give my grouper carcasses to that fish the beaches, piers, and passes with them. Piers and beaches at night, passes whenever. The artificial reefs are ok, they just aren't great. A lot of them are over fished. King and cobia are around. I haven't found any but I haven't really targeted them. A few reports from friends that the permit are frequenting some of the passes and near shore wrecks. Best bet for kingfish right now is live bottom. Have had a few friends grouper fishing end up getting some kings doing so.
  • Neuby777Neuby777 Posts: 18 Greenhorn

Cobia,

I think AMS season will be on so I would want to catch my limet on them as well as Grouper (Wifes favorite). Reds on the sandbar sound good I just do not like refishing that much. The slot limets on the fish really turn me off. I am not that big of a fan of inshore fishing
  • o7cobiao7cobia Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    Neuby666 I didnt reply to a post from you the ? was about late september fishing in Ft Myers if you want to catch a limet of AMS and grouper knock your self out .Was trying to help out Catch1 with his trip.I dont like refishing that much. I try to do it right the first time.