Looking for Experienced inshore fishing partner/partners Merritt Island/Port Can Area

MI-MikeMI-Mike Posts: 1 Greenhorn
I'm new to Florida (moved here about a month ago) and am looking for people to fish with who are interested in sharing knowledge/helping a guy learn.

I'm from Illinois and have a ton of experience with freshwater species, but have been struggling here in the salt and brackish waters of the Banana and Indian.

I'm looking to learn how to find and target bait fish with my cast net. (I can throw it fine, just can't seem to find the finger mullet everyone says I need). I'd like to learn some go to rigs for species specific targeting. (Reds, Snook, Gator Trout, Sheepshead, Flounder, Snapper, etc)

I'm a responsible married 40 year old USMC vet, who is serious about his fishing. I'm down to try it all. I'm an IT guy and set my own schedule so I can fish whenever. Just looking to meet some new people, have fun and LEARN.

Replies

• CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Posts: 590 Officer
    Not in your area, but you can't go wrong with DOA shrimp. Grab the nite glow(great for snook) or gold or rootbeer colors, cast them out, let them sink, and slowly retrieve with a small twitch every once in a while. You want to work them very slow so they crawl across the bottom. Or toss them up current and just let the current move them while giving them a small twitch every once in a while. I know for a fact in your area these kill the trout, reds, and snook but it does take some time to get used to working the lures. Down in biscayne bay I can just drift the grass flats in my kayak and pull up trout all day long on the doa shrimp hardly moving it. No need to grab finger mullet every time you fish though they're nice to have. I wish we had the reds down here in the northern bay like you do up there. For the snook you can toss the doa shrimp under docks for good results or work bridges with the terroreyz. Bait busters are great for trolling too. Pulled up a little trout using that on my paddle back from the grass flats last time I was out and also had tarpon hit it just tossing it out and using a steady retrieve.
  • redheadredhead Posts: 120 Officer
    PM sent