New Slayer propel ?

tomf.tomf. Posts: 9 Greenhorn
Been looking to change up yaks recently to one that I can stand in and possibly with peddle. Of course that narrows things quite a bit. However may have to wait a bit and check this one out if it becomes avail.
http://www.yakangler.com/kayaks-and-gear/item/2447-mystery-propel-kayak-revealed
Something new to consider? I'll be waiting to see.Any thoughts Sebastian pete?

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I have not tested the kayak but I will when it gets down here. I here that Native has improved the drive unit and the hull is a big improvement over the Mariner. Could it give Hobie a run for the money? Time will tell. I hope it will be a winner.
  • PBG-JohnPBG-John Posts: 419 Deckhand
    I don't know....It's a good idea, BUT it's a mere $450 less than a Hobie PA 12. $550 less than a PA14.

Depends what you want to do I guess. The Natives have that reverse option going for them, but the Hobies can be pedaled all the way to the beach without having to raise the drive unit.
    The latest survey shows that
    three out of four people make
    up 75% of the population
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    The Slayer's a nice fishing platform and the addition of the Propel drive is a natural progression......this can only help the sport. Too bad they felt the need to eliminate the Hi/Lo seating, but the ability to adjust the seat fore & aft is a given, as the drive unit is not adjustable.
    Lt.FireDog wrote: »
    The Slayer's a nice fishing platform and the addition of the Propel drive is a natural progression......this can only help the sport. Too bad they felt the need to eliminate the Hi/Lo seating, but the ability to adjust the seat fore & aft is a given, as the drive unit is not adjustable.

Speaking of seats....When's Hobie coming out with a swivel recliner for the PAs?
    up 75% of the population
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    PBG-John wrote: »
    Speaking of seats....When's Hobie coming out with a swivel recliner for the PAs?

The damned thing already looks like a La-Z-Boy...what more do you want? :rotflmao jk

Seriously though, makes my puny little GTS elite seat seam just.....inadequate
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    ZimmerNole wrote: »
    The damned thing already looks like a La-Z-Boy...what more do you want? :rotflmao jk

Seriously though, makes my puny little GTS elite seat seam just.....inadequate

If I could only find a wi-fi hot spot out there I could fish and watch football all day every weekend.
    up 75% of the population
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    PBG-John wrote: »
    If I could only find a wi-fi hot spot out there I could fish and watch football all day every weekend.

Mind = blown

Sunday ticket...on the yak with a solar charged ipad (waterpoofed) and a solar charged WiFi hotspot.
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Sebastain PadlerSebastain Padler Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Mike Hooks from Native Watercraft was kind enough to give me an opportunity to water test the Slayer Propel during a trip to the Native Watercraft factory in July. I was extremely comfortable and found the seat easy to adjust (as expected with their First Class seat). As with the current paddle only Slayers, it was very east to stand for sight casting (It was a windy day on the lake so there was a descent chop for me to test with). Propel's big advantage is the reverse feature, but as Lt. Firedog points out, it's not as easy to beach since the drive is up or down. The Slayer Propel is 13' long and significantly faster and more efficient than the Mariner allowing you to cover more ground with less effort. The large scuppers will allow for easy and fast draining during beach launches though I suggest plugging the holes when on the flats as the large holes create a noticeable slurping sound. Overall, I was impressed with the kayak's performance and look forward seeing the final production model in late October or early November (The unit I tested was still a prototype).