Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Skyway help

Fishing Friday in the am. Friends are from out of town and specifically wanted to fish under the skyway. I have 100s of offshore stuff but never really fish the bridge unless netting bait. any ideas??

Replies

• GermGerm Posts: 1,704 Captain
    grouper are around there along with smaller mango snapper. Should be able to get spanish macks and you might get lucky with a tarpon.
  • AZappiaAZappia Posts: 90 Deckhand
    Germ wrote: »
    grouper are around there along with smaller mango snapper. Should be able to get spanish macks and you might get lucky with a tarpon.

I will be fishing the Skyway next Thursday. Coming in town for my bachelor party from Atlanta. How are people fishing for Gags? Straight down with pilchards?
  • Morocco Mole 007Morocco Mole 007 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    AZappia wrote: »
    I will be fishing the Skyway next Thursday. Coming in town for my bachelor party from Atlanta. How are people fishing for Gags? Straight down with pilchards?
    The south skyway pier has many perpendicular reefs that span it's length on both sides which are about 150yds apart and about 150' out from pier. On a flat calm day you can see them. That's where the Gags will be with the snaps.
    TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!! SHAZAAM!!
  • SJCSJC Posts: 2,571 Captain
    AZappia wrote: »

Pilchards are ok but Pinfish seem to work best. 30-40 lbs leader attached to a swivel with a 3-4 oz sinker. 5-7/0 circle hook. on bottom. Tail hook or under the chin up through nose
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!
  • AZappiaAZappia Posts: 90 Deckhand
    SJC wrote: »
    Pilchards are ok but Pinfish seem to work best. 30-40 lbs leader attached to a swivel with a 3-4 oz sinker. 5-7/0 circle hook. on bottom. Tail hook or under the chin up through nose

Great info! Thanks.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    ssp1.jpg

ssp1a.jpg

Here is a shot of the south pier I had in the archives. The pink marks are the light poles so you can estimate the location of the structure. Hope this helps.
  • smokesmoke Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Wow! I never knew that. How's the pier doing right now?