Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Heading to Choko this week

Hey everyone,
First post on these boards, I have been on other fishing boards for years, Heading out with my 2 oldest boys to Chokoloskee on Monday, maybe I'll see a few of you regulars on the water. Question.. it will be a "high" low tide then a high tide the whole time we will be there. Any areas I definitely need to stay away from for my first visit, should I just stay in the channels? Also, anyone been to the wrecks about 7 miles south of Indian key?

Thanks guys,

Charles

Replies

• FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Morning lows this weekend are not very low. Evening lows are quite a bit lower and worthy of your attention. You did not mention where you are launching from and type/draft of boat. Both are critical pieces of info in determining routes and capabilities.
    As to asking about wrecks...that is not a subject locals and regulars like to discuss. A positive report one day leads to a parking lot the next.
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Posts: 191 Officer
    wrecks.. what wrecks?... lol sorry about that.. either way.. I am renting a sundance skiff launching out of everglades city, sundance skiffs can draft real shallow, from what I gather. I will be fishing from like 6am until 3 or so, I really would feel uncomfortable being out there on the really low tide for my first time out. Thanks for the response and whatever advice you can give.

Charles
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    You should have plenty of water this weekend during those times. I would hang back and follow someone out to see the route(s). Most folks know where they are going. Can't offer any fishing advice as I never fish north of the Chatham.
    Thanks so much.. I appreciate the advice, I know how to find fish almost anywhere, but I just want to make sure I don't get stuck or there is a new sandbar that never made it on the map. As for my question about the wrecks.. what I think I would really like to know is how safe that route is south of Indian key... the nautical maps say its pretty deep.. but you never know... just wondering if I could run it full throttle.

Thanks again!

Charles
  • ChuddybuckrivetChuddybuckrivet Posts: 3,156 Officer
    Due south of Indian Key there is plenty of water. If your running along the coast (south-southeast) stay about a mile off and you'll be fine all the way to Pavilion.
    Thanks guys for the advice, had an issue with the rental, so, stayed by the channel and farthest I felt comfortable going was Indian key.. .
    I will definitely come back.. loved it!!

Thanks again!

Charles