green cove windy skrimpin 8/27

nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,552 Captain
Arrived at noon wind was about 10mph then cranked up to a steady 20 with gusts to 30 chunked the net till 4 on the N side of the shands bridge in about 5 ft managed 3 gal of shrimp, 38 pinfish, biggest crab I've ever saw, and a keeper flounder that I threw back.

Also shredded a brand new net "exploring" new shrimping territory so next time you buy a net get it from gander mtn for 9.00 you can get a years replacement IMO its well worth it

IMAG0290.jpg
Pic doesn't do that crab justice that thing was 8" from tip to tip

Replies

• huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Nice report despite the weather :Rockon
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • troutman57troutman57 Posts: 3,691 Officer
    Great Job Nick!
    Glad to see i wasn't the only one who braved the storm!
    That is one big blue crab.....I have seen some large ones here lately beneath my dock.
    This place Rocks if yer a crabber
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,525 Captain
    Very nice.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • APEAPE Posts: 973 Officer
    I was out there too and we were in 18-21 feet of water on the SE side of the Bridge and we got our limit in about 3 hours. It was windy and we left around 1:30 we were the ones in the 23 foot center console aluminum jet boat that was tan in color. The GOFC club members ran over to markers 22-24 and had there learnament over in that side of the river. We didn't catch too many fish but I did get a big ugly fish that none of the boats beside me were able to identify so I threw it back, I now know that it was an armored catfish from South America and it was at least 20 inches long.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,552 Captain
    Yea that was us in the 23 bay, I didn't have webbed nets so we didn't venture to the 20 ft depths
    Leftovers for breakfast!
    IMAG0294.jpg
  • jaeforceonejaeforceone Posts: 93 Deckhand
    nice batch of shrimp! the crab makes excellent bait quartered or halfed. out of curiosity what do you plan to do with the pinfish? shoulda kept the flounder, I think its legal, maybe someone will chime in.
    385952_2452032575643_1914544095_n.jpg
    Native Manta Ray 14 Sand
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,452 Officer
    Now that is a good looking breakfast. Nice mess of shrimp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BWoodsBWoods Posts: 50 Deckhand
    Yea, you can keep flounder caught in a net
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,943 Officer
    Nice haul on the skrimp fellers :Rockon Those pinfish might pay off one day :banana
  • Alvin AAlvin A Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Nice !!!
    Weld-Craft 1656 Tunnel, Yamaha F70, Garmin 547xs.
  • keypondkeypond Posts: 2,017 Officer
    Nicely done Nick! We've gotten a couple of nice flounder and nice blue crabs out there this year while chasing those shrimp. I'll take the flounder over both the others any day. Caught a couple short speckled trout and sand trout as well.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • BWoodsBWoods Posts: 50 Deckhand
    We caught about 10 nice speckled perch on accident last night
    BWoods wrote: »
    We caught about 10 nice speckled perch on accident last night

Dang! That just hurts. I hate having to throw those boys back.
    Chris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPHOHuw-M&list=UU7OK0PWEO7jknYHsykHcjaA&index=1&feature=plcp
  • AirGatorAirGator Posts: 128 Officer
    Nice job on tha skrimps! I have yet to go over there. Hoping to soon.
    AG, now's the time. They're running thick and big. Do yourself a favor and go early or late, skip the middle of the day. Too dang hot.

Boss wants me to take him Wednesday morning. I don't even have to call in sick.
    Chris