Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Serious deep water trip

Anyone in Cape / Ft Myers area have a boat capable to fish in 35-40 fathoms and interested in setting up a serious deep water trip?

Replies

• VeikxVeikx Posts: 611 Officer
    What's out there? ;)
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    we overnighted Saturday to sunday out to 35 fathoms. got a load of 6-9 lb mangroves and a 20 lb permit and a bunch of out of season red snapper at a bottom spot overnight. loads of sharks did not prevent the hooking but did prevent quite a bit of catching unfortunately. sunday morning troll produced a 40 lb wahoo and a couple nice fat bft, 1 pushing 30 lbs. lots of good stuff out there. we were in a 25 parker btw.
  • capeanglercapeangler Posts: 586 Officer
    Veikx wrote: »
    What's out there? ;)

I've got some very special & very private ledges and wrecks between 250-280 feet that have not been fished in years. I'm dying to get out there.
    crossbones wrote: »
    we overnighted Saturday to sunday out to 35 fathoms. got a load of 6-9 lb mangroves and a 20 lb permit and a bunch of out of season red snapper at a bottom spot overnight. loads of sharks did not prevent the hooking but did prevent quite a bit of catching unfortunately. sunday morning troll produced a 40 lb wahoo and a couple nice fat bft, 1 pushing 30 lbs. lots of good stuff out there. we were in a 25 parker btw.

Nice grovers in deed and permit are always a good bonus. Sharks can be a royal PIA at night. Congrats on the hoo and bft. 30lbs is fatty. That some serious distance for a 25 Parker, but with good weather, I guess you can go as far as your fuel supply will allow. I know a cple guys down my way that commercial fish out of 25 Parkers with a Cabin. Great boats.
  • ThePigskinCaptainThePigskinCaptain Posts: 390 Officer
    Weather permitting this weekend, I'll be out there for an over nighter.
    Looks like we are a go. Heading out to spend a day trolling starting in about 1,000 feet of water, work our way in and then spend a day checking some deep stuff from 400 feet into about 300. Gotta do a little scouting for the upcoming tourney. Gonna check a few wrecks and springs I haven't been to in a long while.
  • grouperupgrouperup Posts: 131 Deckhand
    I was just out there on Sunday, wasn't in the area very long, just checked a few numbers. Every time I am out there I see commercial boats. Hopefully your numbers are still very special :) Good luck out there, keep us posted on your results
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,753 Moderator
    How many miles to the 35 fathom depth?
    larywitt
  • crossbonescrossbones Posts: 127 Deckhand
    depends on where you leave from and what direction your going. leaving out of venice about 90 miles or so.
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,126 Officer
    whatdaya say larry load up Biposto and 30 gals of gas in cans and spend the night
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
    Anyone care to buddy boat this weekend to fish 170'-180'? Look like Sat is going to be a really nice day to run 75- 85 M W out of FMB 65 or so from RFP. PM me if you're interested. IM running a mid size CC (Newer) with twins. I cruise around 32-35MPH. Leaving dark thirty.
    capeangler wrote: »
    Anyone care to buddy boat this weekend to fish 170'-180'? Look like Sat is going to be a really nice day to run 75- 85 M W out of FMB 65 or so from RFP. PM me if you're interested. IM running a mid size CC (Newer) with twins. I cruise around 32-35MPH. Leaving dark thirty.

SAT FORECAST: Southeast winds around 5 knots then becoming west in the afternoon. Seas 1 Foot. Bay and inland waters smooth. A chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon"

Forecast calling for 5MPH Winds and 1 foot seas, and I cant believe nobody wants to trek out 65-75 Miles from RFP!
  • Joey ButtonsJoey Buttons Posts: 11,849 AG
    capeangler wrote: »
    SAT FORECAST: Southeast winds around 5 knots then becoming west in the afternoon. Seas 1 Foot. Bay and inland waters smooth. A chance of thunderstorms in the morning...then a slight chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon"

Forecast calling for 5MPH Winds and 1 foot seas, and I cant believe nobody wants to trek out 65-75 Miles from RFP!

I would, but I would need to bring some extra gas with me. I don't think my 55 gallon tank would hold enough fuel.
    I'll be out there but well past 180 feet of water. Leaving this afternoon to start trolling around 1,000 feet then a half day of deep dropping tomorrow. Half a day of bottom fishing in 300 feet Sunday am. Report will follow.
    I'll be out there but well past 180 feet of water. Leaving this afternoon to start trolling around 1,000 feet then a half day of deep dropping tomorrow. Half a day of bottom fishing in 300 feet Sunday am. Report will follow.
    Be safe and good luck. Anxious to see report and pics when you return.
  • closerscottcloserscott Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    We normally run on the noleadtime out at least to 105ft or so but taking the kids on a near shore trip this time so am going to go bend the rods and try for keepers in the 65ft area and likely will not get past 80 ft. Hope all those reports on reds in close pan out!
    Very much looking forward to reports from you guys going deep.
    Guessing some of you are fishing the grouper grapple in a few weeks????????????
  • nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,356 Admiral
    This time of year I'll pass. Too many thunderstorms for my taste, but if it was may - june I'de be more than interested.
    Good luck!
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,753 Moderator
    tileman wrote: »
    whatdaya say larry load up Biposto and 30 gals of gas in cans and spend the night
    I figured you would chime in. I will wait till the summer fireworks subside.
    larrywitt
    Tomorrow we are trailering down to Key Largo for some Diving and yellowtailing. Sunday we will be heading out offshore on this coast to somewhere out there. Not sure which direction, but the direction where there is some fish for sure!

Good luck out there Capt's, hope to see some nice fish photos and reports :fishing

Like us on Facebook!

• RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    This time of year I'll pass. Too many thunderstorms for my taste, but if it was may - june I'de be more than interested.
    Good luck!

June was pretty crazy this year with afternoon Tstorms. Much worse than last year. Every day we fished the sat weather and skies looked brutal down by charlotte harbor. Out of SRQ it wasnt as bad but still pretty scary
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    After departing on Friday, we made it home from the deep safely this afternoon. The weather was perfect, never saw a sea higher than 1 foot and that was just for a few hours. I really wish air temperatures would warm up a bit though, I'll be happy when summer finally gets here. Deployed trolling gear in about 450 feet and headed west. No sign of life. Occasional lone piece of weed and every half hour or so a loner flying fish was spotted. Once we got about an hour to the west, we came across a rip with a weedline that looked like a cornfield from the midwest compared to what we had been seeing. Quickly a 30# mahi was boated while losing two others. We saw others coming in on baits but no takers. After a few hours the current changed and the weedline became a mess of heavy scattered weeds which made trolling an exercise in clearing baits more often than they were in the spread.

At that time, the decision was made to make some deep drops and try out a new electric reel. With just a few hours in our game plan, we landed tilefish to 16 pounds, several kitty mitchells, but kept one at 25 pounds. Three of them were all the same size. Hit two spots in 700+ to try for some queen snappers. They were there, but no takers, but we were on a schedule.

Ran back in shore and arrived at a wreck in 300 feet an hour after sundown. First fish, 15# scamp. And then we saw what we would be dealing with for the rest of the night and Sunday. Amberjacks and "everybody out of the water", sharks. Little pesky !2#&%*'s.

After scouting several productive spots, every great show produced the same result, sharks and amberjacks after pulling a few keeper fish. Oh and, of course you can't not mention the elusive red snapper joining the mix.

For those who might be interested, there was no issue with current offshore, very fishable and dropped off to nearly nothing late in the afternoon. For those of you who like to troll but stay a little closer to the beach, the surface is very active with some rips and weedlines at 25 40 between 83 00 to 83 15. Weeds were there on Friday on the way out and still there today on the way home.

I did not have a camera with me, but my customer took some pics with his phone and will send them to me later showing a portion of the catch at the dock.

Hope everyone that went offshore this weekend enjoyed the weather and filled their boxes.
    One image of the largest red snapper landed this morning. 27#'s on the boga. And, yes, it was released before all the questions begin.
    Nice Ars there Cap. x5 on those weeds. We made it out to 170's then worked out way in on Sat. We saw plenty of nice weedlines running 26.16 between 83.00 and .05, with quite a bit of surface activity. Lots and Lots of fliers. We didn't take the time to drag, as we wanted to do as much scouting as possible, but we did see a few schools of Peanuts under some of the bigger Patches. I imagine there were some bigger fish down below, had we taken the time to drag a little. You really need two days out there! Didn't do to well on the Gags out there, but did find some nice RG out where we were. Headed back close to shore to fish a private wreck which was loaded with some big AJs and lots of them. Got two within sight and they looked like they were in the 55-60lb range. After about an hour of break offs, broken & bent hooks and very sore arms, we headed in closer to further scout some Gag bottom. RG were hot in the morning, but seemed to taper off after around 11-11:30AM. Seas were lake like conditions in and out. Surprisingly we only saw one boat in about 130' on the way in, and a bunch once we got into the green water. Ran into a few schools of Bonita in 55-60' on the way in, and messed with them with 4000 class gear and poppers...they were more fun then fkng with the back breaking AJ's.
    I forgot to mention in my report that for the first time in 30 years of offshore fishing, I got to see an Opah, or ocean sunfish. We had just positioned up on an offshore sink and I was more concerned about having the vessel in the right position than what was happening around me. After getting the vessel set up on the spot, I walked away from the helm and noticed something out of the corner of my eye. After looking at massive clumps of sargasm weeds all day I didn't pay much attention. On a double take, sure enough it was an Opah which was sliding by on it's side in the current just under the surface. It was about 600+ pounds. Pretty remarkable. It was gone as soon as we saw it, so no photos. A first for me in the Gulf.
    Pigskin: Did y'all set up for snapper at all, or just fished the bottom for the evening on that wreck? And, have you done any night trips in the past month or so?

Like us on Facebook!

The only night fishing we did was on a wreck in 280 feet of water. I have had some nice hits of large mangs on the spot. Once we got there around 9:00, first bait down was a 15# scamp. Then the amberjacks and sharks took over. The jacks were eating dead bait on the bottom at 10pm, stupid really. Called it a night around 11. Hit it hard the next morning. Found that any structure in the deep was covered with amberjacks and 3 foot coastal sharks.
    We ran to a ledge, and were greeted with some Aj's and about 3' sharks also. We had a few half yellowtails come up and then the sharks showed up right away. Couple smaller in the 4-5' then the big bulls came by later.

Thanks though.

Like us on Facebook!