Kingfish/grouper hybrid combo

Hey all, I'm gonna do this rod/reel recommendations thing differently. I have already determined what I believe to be the best combo for my price range, and I want your opinions on it, and any changes you would make.

Reel: shimano tld 20
Rod: shakespeare ugly stik big water boat rod 6'6" MH
Line: 440 yds berkley trilene big game

I plan on using this for drifting live baits for kings and dropping live/dead baits for grouper/large snapper on the reefs/wrecks. I will probably be fishing from an ocean kayak trident 13 angler. Just let me know your thoughts/personal experiences/what you would change. As you can see, my budget is relatively low, as in under $250. I figured I would pay less for a rod with a brand I trust than buy some cheap reel. I love shimano, so that was my choice for reel, though I am up for suggestions.
www.afrcustomtackle.zxq.net
Custom Rods, Lures, and Flies

[email protected]
407-913-4803 (Leave a message or text)

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    As long as you're not jigging with that combo, it will work.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Asking for a rod to do both of those is tough bc you want completely opposite types of rods. I recommend atleast a 7' live bait rod with a lighter tip for live baiting. you will pull hooks with a broomstick boat rod however it would be great for pulling up grouper/snapper/ajs off of wrecks. That being sad you will still catch plenty of fish live baiting with it im sure.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    I just found a penn squall 40 for the same price, so I'm going with that.

[email protected]
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    TLD is a tried and true bottom reel - Id say splurge a tad more and grab a Star bottom rod.....1000% better quality and good sticks used go for 100+/-. This is not a jigging setup. Remember you can bottom/ bait fish w a jigging setup in a pinch, but you cant always jig effectively w a bottom setup.....
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    If you're just starting the offshore kayak fishing game, it'll definitely get the job done. It'll be a good combo to learn the the game before you invest in pricier gear. I personally think you'll eventually want to upgrade to a jigging combo because they have a lot to offer kayakers. We have to hold the rod/reel combo up higher because we're sitting down so you want lighter weight gear. Plus the jigging combo's can do so much more than just jig. I've got stradic/trevala trinidad/trevala combo's with 50-65lbs braid as my offshore "Go-to" combos plus a stradic/trevala spinning rigs for lighter duty.

Good luck!
    Alex

Good luck!
  • Guitarshredder1Guitarshredder1 Posts: 354 Officer
    Will a torium and shakespeare tiger lite jig casting rod in heavy do the trick, or do I need a lighter action rod for live baiting?

[email protected]
  • chefdtachefdta Posts: 188 Officer
    I've got a torium on a key largo jig rod. It's short and stout with a quick tip. I love it, I can jig and when I hook up the reel has the ballzz to winch em up and the rod has a great backbone. You can really keep pressure on them. One day I'll opt for a battle/trevala combo though to keep arms from exhausting (I like the idea of switching between conventional an spinning to jig). As for bottom fishing the torium/ key largo combo is great too, many grouper yanked up with it without running back into their holes.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    I'd say the combo you first proposed would make for a good general purpose offshore rod. It'll get most things done reasonably well. However, I'd suggest holding off on stepping up the price to a jigging combo until you've been out a few times and gotten a better feel for it. The difficulty with kings vs. grouper is that if you really want to specialize, the rod characteristics for targeting grouper will hurt you for targeting kings and vise-versa.

Again, don't start dropping a lot of money on gear till you've got a feel for it. However, you may want to consider 2 combo's for offshore: 1 for trolling the other for bottom fishing. Look for the following characteristics:

Trolling: you want something with a slower action (i.e. the rod bends almost the whole length) in order to soften the shock involved with high speed/accelerating pelagics. Realize that a 10 lbs king can generate A LOT of force by accelerating up to 30+ mph in a second or less! Also, a side note on reels is you want something with a high gear ratio for when a fish turns and runs at you. Don't worry as much about a reel with a super strong drag because you won't have it tightened beyond 5-7lbs most of the time. Any tighter and you risk the shock of a fish's acceleration either ripping the hook out of his mouth or breaking a knot/leader.

Bottom fishing: you'll want something with a fast action (i.e. most of the bend happens only at the tip of the rod). For bottom hugging fish and fish with a tendency to dive for structure, you really want to think of the rod as a crow-bar to lever that fish away from structure. As for reels, if you can't afford a 2-speed reel stick with relatively low gear ratio because you'll want cranking power. If you can afford it though, 2 speed reels are great because high speed lets you reel up and change baits faster but then you can switch to low gear for the fight.

Good luck!
    Alex
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    Don't know if this helps you, but I purchased a $450 conventional jigging setup thinking I could do it all with one rod. After two trips on the water, I quickly realized it was not the right setup for me. Jigging with a conventional from a kayak was cumbersome and tiring. Now it has become my trolling/live bait rod.

Since then, I picked up a good spinning/jigging combo Gossa 10k/Trevala. It turned out to be way more versatile. I can jig, cast, troll, and bottom fish with my high speed jigging combo. Sure, one can argue that it's not made for all of those applications, but it still works just fine.

As for another thought. I just spent last weekend in Marco island and did an offshore charter. To my surprise, we were grouper fishing with INSHORE rods. Shimano Teramar paired with a 4000 size reel. You easily felt every nibble. I pulled up 2 nice keepers with no problem and over 20 undersized grouper. I wouldn't recommend that for any fish that's going to take line, but you obviously don't need a real heavy bottom rod. Just enough to keep them from getting in their hole.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale