Snook rod question and spillway fishing

Snookangler15Snookangler15 Posts: 199 Officer
I fought a 48+ inch snook tonight and I realized i need a new rod as this one was doubled over.... I had my sargus's drag almost maxed out and this snook smoked it. What I'm getting at is what is a good medium-heavy rod under $100 that can pull in these monsters? I have a reel already.

The guy next to me snagged a carp and caught a 40" on the dot snook.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373939892.279089.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1373939925.900064.jpg

If you have an instagram you can follow my page @Florida_snook_anglers to see a short video of his fight and some other cool pics.

Tight lines. SnookAngler
Tight lines

Replies

• SpoontasticSpoontastic Posts: 127 Officer
    I know the feeling. I got broke off by 2 over slot snook today at the Pinellas Bayway. One twisted me around the bridge, the other made a run under the canoe into the trolling motor. Both on mirro dines and a stradic2500. Awesome setup, just not quite enough a** to pull them out.
  • Snookangler15Snookangler15 Posts: 199 Officer
    I know the feeling. I got broke off by 2 over slot snook today at the Pinellas Bayway. One twisted me around the bridge, the other made a run under the canoe into the trolling motor. Both on mirro dines and a stradic2500. Awesome setup, just not quite enough a** to pull them out.

What rod? This is the hook i bent ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373941459.582208.jpg

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    Tight lines
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    Saw the video, epic man. Gonna pick up some of these lures soon. LOL

If you're willing to spend an extra $20, you can get a medium-heavy St. Croix premier. Wont be disappointed.
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135

If you're willing to spend an extra $20, you can get a medium-heavy St. Croix premier. Wont be disappointed.

Will do

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    Tight lines
    I found the perfect opportunity to use the new video feature

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    Tight lines
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Cool instagram page.

I've been having the same issue the past couple weeks. I have caught a few fish up to the mid 30" range. I've also had a few totally work me and cut me off on the pylons like they weren't even trying. I'm sorta wary of it being heavy enough, especially seeing some of the stuff other guys come out with, but I think I'm going to go with a Crowder E-Series Lite or a Star Stellar Lite with a Cabo 50. Pretty sure that Star is in your price range. Messed around with one last week and it felt great. If you want to drop the extra 50ish on the Crowder...I can't say enough good things about my current one...its just too light.
    I think im going to go with a st. Croix premier medium heavy.

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    Tight lines
  • closcabcloscab Posts: 122 Officer
    St. Croix is a great rod and you wont be disappointed.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain

not alot of people recommend it, but i have the 7'9 and love it .. its definently got some **** to it.. very responsive, you can really dig into a fish with it and turn him.. its got a pretty fast tip for a MH.. i can throw the regular size mirrodines pretty effectively on 8lb braid (im sure youll be using heavier).. and it will fire a topwater out a GD mile.. great rod.. i love mine..
    cbmdk86 wrote: »

not alot of people recommend it, but i have the 7'9 and love it .. its definently got some **** to it.. very responsive, you can really dig into a fish with it and turn him.. its got a pretty fast tip for a MH.. i can throw the regular size mirrodines pretty effectively on 8lb braid (im sure youll be using heavier).. and it will fire a topwater out a GD mile.. great rod.. i love mine..

I have heard alot of bad things about flats blue rods

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    Tight lines
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,400 Admiral
    Go look at the Star Stellar Lite rods or Shimano Teramar ,both have a over the counter lifetime warranty.
    I have heard alot of bad things about flats blue rods

Tight lines. SnookAngler

like what?
  • SlamaholicSlamaholic Posts: 389 Officer
    Blair Wiggins Flats Blue rod 99.99
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Quality Performance Apparel, Realistic Prices.
    www.ReloGear.Com
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    Disco standard answer

Shimano Teramar, have a over the counter lifetime warranty.
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • Snook ManSnook Man Posts: 207 Officer
    Go look at the Star Stellar Lite rods or Shimano Teramar ,both have a over the counter lifetime warranty.
    This. I have a few stellar lites and a teramar, they have some awesome backbone.
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    like what?

I heard that the tips break easy and they dont have enough backbone

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    Tight lines
    Snook Man wrote: »
    This. I have a few stellar lites and a teramar, they have some awesome backbone.

I am going to my local bait and tackle shop and buying a star stellar lite medium heavy 7' later today

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    Tight lines
  • fishboyfishboy Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I am going to my local bait and tackle shop and buying a star stellar lite medium heavy 7' later today

Tight lines. SnookAngler
    I have this rod. Good choice!
    I heard that the tips break easy and they dont have enough backbone

Tight lines. SnookAngler

any rod with a faster tip can break easier.. its part of the tradeoff
  • WonderWonder Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Star rods Seagis 7'6