How much chain?

SaltydawgSaltydawg Posts: 1,286 Officer
For my anchor on a 34 ft SeaVee? Both if im anchor over a reef and if im just anchoring on the sand bar?

Replies

• 9-Lives9-Lives Posts: 2,123 Captain
    If you use or plan to use an anchor retrieval system (you know the bouy and ring) have enough chain so that it outweighs the anchor.
    marlin_baitball.gif
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    15 - 20 ft with a minimum of 5/16 chain size, and none of the rubber coated chain. Long heavy chain is the secret to an anchor holding.
  • Capt M BrennanCapt M Brennan Posts: 488 Officer
    I always use a foot of chain per foot of boat for main anchor. Foot of chain per four feet of boat for spare anchor.
    Captain Mike Brennan
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    9-Lives wrote: »
    If you use or plan to use an anchor retrieval system (you know the bouy and ring) have enough chain so that it outweighs the anchor.

I have just started to use the bouy and ring and i only use a few feet of chainl. And so far i see the benefits. Why does the chain need to outweight the anchor when using the ball?
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    I think chain rode is over rated for boats, ships not so much. I think a short lead is great, the rode has to be just long enought not to lose the hook.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,075 AG
    century7 wrote: »
    I have just started to use the bouy and ring and i only use a few feet of chainl. And so far i see the benefits. Why does the chain need to outweight the anchor when using the ball?
    I believe to keep the anchor in the ring.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    Now that i think about it, i guess it is so the anchor does not fall back to the bottom of the sea by having the chain keep the anchor at the ball. When i pull it up i find the chain and anchor get hung up on the ring and keeps it at the surface.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......