YFT Report? Is it too late?

kirk_olykirk_oly Posts: 20 Greenhorn
We'll be in Bimini August 8-10 and I think we'll be able to find plenty of bait either in the channel of South Bimini or off the beaches. I've heard that the YFT's are just to the north and east of Great Isaac's, around the Gingerbreads. Any comments/opinions on location and depth and if August is too late in the season to have a decent shot to finding the birds and YFT's would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 247 Deckhand
    Everything I've read is that the YFT are always there, the problem is that the birds that you use to find them are not. I too would be interested in some local knowledge...my 2 attempts this spring to head over got blown out by weather...still got an itch that needs scratching
  • reeldown1reeldown1 Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    Your information is correct, keep heading east of gingerbreads, the birds are there. Lot of Sharks too.
    **** Party Fishing Team
  • BspotBspot Posts: 189 Officer
    We will be there again starting Monday out of Lucaya. In June we found them 22-27 to the SE, everyday.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    They are definitely still there
  • kirk_olykirk_oly Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    Thanks to all of update/insight. How about depth? Is it a matter of running and gunning in the 200-800 foot depths along the edge or more just about running through the middle of the NW Prov. Channel without considering depth?

Also can you run across the flat from Bimini directly to gingerbreads, or is it only advisable to go around G. Isaacs?
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    Cut across the bank, but be aware it is a long run, like 35-40 miles
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    And as far as I know, the Tuna are deep...2-3,000 feet, I never got a weather window either that worked for me
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blue ZoneBlue Zone Posts: 414 Officer
    Bspot is about right on a location. This time of year they tend to feed up top about 5pm.
    The canyons are 5000+ deep.
  • FWCSnookFWCSnook Posts: 886 Officer
    The tuna are out in the channel. Sometimes they push in shallower, but generally not. Afternoon bite for sure, all the way through sunset. Chunk plenty of sardines and have that live bait.
  • Jeff CampionJeff Campion Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Morning bite isnt as good?
  • GRSCGRSC Posts: 941 Officer
    They were there tuesday and wednesday
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jeff CampionJeff Campion Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Any idea until what month the tuna hang around?
    From what I understand the tuna are there year round but it is the birds which point you to them that are seasonal. I'm not sure if it is dependent on the time of year or more dependent on just having calmer seas to be able to run and gun. Would also love to hear more insight.
    With a good weather window thru the week, we will again be in the canyons tomorrow. Will post results on Sat.
    We got to the canyons a little early, 3:00 on Weds, But were in birds right away. First hook up was on the troll, which we hardly ever do but it was so early we did not know what to expect. After that we chunked and had the school under the boat, 4 more hook ups until 2 big sharks moved in. I had the pleasure of fighting a 300# tiger for 45 minutes, did not know what we had until we could see him. After that we did not see birds again until 6:00 and could not get them to bite. I usually stay till dark but since we were out in S Bimini and had a 70 mile run we left early, but at least we found them on the south side of the canyons.
    Great to hear you found them Bspot. Were you able to get any whole tuna to the boat?