Ocean kayak new model?

Replies

• kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 797 Officer
    Ocean Kayak makes some very seaworthy kayaks. I think the Big Game 2 could def catch on. I like the way the bow is designed. Looks like it can cut some water. I have an Ocean Kayak Malibu 2xl which is very seaworthy, but man is it slow. The stability in rough seas, more than makes up for it though. Can't wait to see this model on the water.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Im leary of any seat that high above the waterline....just removes too much stability which is of course offset by width.....making it slower. The ONLY knock on the big game to date is that it is a bear to paddle in decent size seas......Id agree on the bow though - It looks just like the Scupper pro which cuts waves better than most.
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    I do like the upgraded twist n seal hatch, but why would they go with the old style carry handle. I really like the molded inn handle's my Ultra 4.3 has. I paddled the original big game and it was not slow and extremely stable, my father used it and he felt very stable and was able to land a nice tarpon from it. I must admit the BG2 looks interesting.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • mackerelmaniacmackerelmaniac Posts: 119 Officer
    Cookinman wrote: »
    Im leary of any seat that high above the waterline....just removes too much stability which is of course offset by width.....making it slower. The ONLY knock on the big game to date is that it is a bear to paddle in decent size seas......Id agree on the bow though - It looks just like the Scupper pro which cuts waves better than most.

Looking at the weight it also looks like a pain to lug around...add wind, swells and current and you'll end up in maine or with jelly arms in dania. I would say this is a good boat for drifts or calm days.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Plus, I really don't want to know the price point. The trident is $1600, I could imagine this being a $1750 boat which at that point ya might as well pony up the extra dough for a peddle yak...just my .02
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
    The big game is intended for big boys. The original I think has a 400 lbs capacity. My old man was 250 at the time and he did not feel stable in regular kayaks. When he tried the big game he felt very comfortable. I'm not in the market for this type of kayak, but I do think it fills a niche in the market. I'm very happy with my ultra 4.3
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    From my experience, the Big Game was stable as a rock, had decent tracking and glide (for being 34" wide), but took a bit to get to speed.....great "Big Boy's" boat (550-600lbs) and now with a comfy looking seat.
  • Stalker1211Stalker1211 Posts: 149 Officer
    Dude...it looks JUST like the new Old Town Predator. Which is pretty much a mod from the Ocean Kayak Trident series anyways, but with better additions.

What makes it that much different than the Predator, other than width and length? The hull design might be slightly different, but the mods on the top deck look identical.
    Yep same seat and some of the same features here are the two side by side. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375303492.550778.jpg