Jupiter Inlet - Monday July 29th

Well, let's just suffice to say that the bite on the West side of the hump in the "Easterly" area of Juno Pier in the 65ft range today was ZILCH........ We marked fish, but caught only junk, not one Snapper... Water clarity all the way to Juno pier about 2.25 to 2.5nm offshore was horrible....

Moved to a reliable spot in 80-85 exactly due East of Juno Pier, water clarity improved a bit, caught two Snapper right off the mark and bahm... ...a dive boat pulls up right next to us and drops divers in the water like a alley cat having kittens... Was this a Monday or a Sunday :huh

Moved again, same area due East of the pier, only about 1/4nm more to the East, still 85'ish feet of water and caught a few Mangroves, one pretty decent size... Spoke to Rondo about this time, he managed to have a few Muttons on ice :kick

Finally moved to a spot due East of the inlet, 65'ish feet about 2.5nm offshore... Anchored up, hoping for some big Muttons, first few fish were decent Yellowtails, and them BAHM, big fish on, 50ft leader, fish is 15-20 ft under the boat, it's a big Mutton, and he... ....swam free.... Skipper and I were soooooo bummed... It was in the 15lb range, which would be the biggest in quite a while for us...

Also hooked up a lumbering Golaith in the same spot, straighten out a hook and off he went, but it was a fun ride on the Torsa 30 and JPR Acid Wrap while it lasted... Only burned my thumb a bit, even with the drag at 42lbs :hairraiser
attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702

Replies

• Salty_CrackerSalty_Cracker Posts: 119 Deckhand
    Nicely done. Only took me two outings to realize I hate the dive boats and they have zero respect for anyone.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    I hear you, generally they are pretty good, but there's a few that, well, not so much... But if you're new to the area, the dive boats are dropping divers down in that area for a reason, usually good stuff to look at.. Mark that general area and and go back after they leave and explore it... One of the few rewards of them being on the water with us! LOL
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Nice report, I like the new avator
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    I like the new sig pic Dave. Good job on dinner regardless of the slow bite and divers. That's happened to us too many times while bottom fishing out of Jupiter. Like you say, that's how you know you're on decent bottom.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer
    nice snappa. I have the week off and may venture south this week cause the H2O up here is NASTY !!!
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
    LastMango wrote: »

like a alley cat having kittens...

QUOTE]

LMFAMO!:funnypost... They are frustrating to deal with. Sux you lost the big one..at least you brought home some eats though
    "FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T
  • Plane Fish nPlane Fish n Posts: 6,439 Admiral
    Dave..

Now you can tell Sean to go to the beach to contemplate his comments (or.. Go Pound Sand!!!) :grin:grin

You see, your boat does catch fish.. just not Marlins!!! :wink

Cheers buddy.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N
  • PortFiercePortFierce Posts: 127 Officer
    yuuummmm
    While the bottom bite wasn't spectacular, it was better than it has been in several weeks... I'm still soooooo disappointed about that big Mutton....... Maybe later this week...... The big guys have been almost non existent this summer...

Oh, the signature picture was taken using a GoPro mounted upside down on an outrigger... I'm experimenting with several new ways to grab video and pics...
  • on deckon deck Posts: 652 Officer
    42 lbs of drag...****...Puts my Accurates to shame!
  • RondoRondo Posts: 762 Officer
    Too bad Dave about the mut, but glad to hear there's a big one out there. I'll go look for him later this week, nice bunch of tails, want to trade for some files?
    on deck wrote: »
    42 lbs of drag...****...Puts my Accurates to shame!

Crazy part is, you can 2x it by replacing the cam, not sure who could hold on to it, but, it is an option...
    Rondo wrote: »
    Too bad Dave about the mut, but glad to hear there's a big one out there. I'll go look for him later this week, nice bunch of tails, want to trade for some files?

Thanks, it was quite the letdown on the one big Mutton... I was using triple offset hooks (frozen bait) vs circle hooks (for fresh caught...) Oh well..
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,019 Captain
    Congrats on some decent fish-finally! Obviously a huge loss on the mutton, oh well, get him next time!
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Dave you are getting our and bringing back something for the plate. New rig appears to being put to good use.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • Totally HookedTotally Hooked Posts: 599 Officer
    Nice Grover
    [SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/Brfdlt/jump.gif[/SIGPIC]

Life begin's as soon as I leave the dock!
  • e-moneye-money Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Nice going Dave and Skipper and sorry about Big Mutton. (They have been hard to come by)
    Really dig the photo / signature photo!!
    USCG Freelance Licensed Captain
    20 years experience Offshore & Bahamas ( Sailfish, Dolphin, Wahoo, Swordfish & Bottom Fish.)
    [url]Http://www.e-moneyfishing.com[/url]
    (I teach people how to be more effective AND catch MORE and BIGGER fish on their own boats!)
    [email protected]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt.NoBaitCapt.NoBait Posts: 253 Deckhand
    those are some nice snapper
  • RockNReelerRockNReeler Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Fished the "hump" early, bite was on...then gone. Sad mutton story...but he lives to find another hook (hopefully mine).
    Fished the "hump" early, bite was on...then gone. Sad mutton story...but he lives to find another hook (hopefully mine).

SHUT UP! That's MY Mutton! lol...........