Emotion Mojo Angler Kayak?

Hi all,
I've been reading these forums for awhile now but I've only recently registered and started posting. Over the last couple of months I've gotten really into kayak fishing. Unfortunately, I don't own a kayak and so have been renting one each time I got out. It's gotten to the point, though, where it doesn't make sense to keep renting a kayak. So for the last month or so I've been scouring Craig's List (and other sites) for decent kayak deals.

I found an ad a few days ago for an Emotion Mojo Angler kayak for a pretty good price ($400). Has anyone used one of these before? I searched the forums but didn't find many posts about it (although my searching skills may be sub par). I'm located in Gainesville and have mainly been fishing around the Cedar Key, but mostly because that's where I can rent a decent kayak from. I'm been fishing exclusively inshore or in creeks and imagine that's how I'll be using whatever kayak I end up purchasing.

For those that have used a Mojo, a few questions:

1) How is the tracking/maneuverability?

2) I see that the yak has impressions for standing. How easy is standing in one of these? I'm 6", 170ish pounds if that matters. My balance is ok.

3) Anything else I should know?

4) If not the Mojo, what are the other kayaks I should be looking for? I'm trying to get my total purchase (kayak + paddle, etc) in the $600 range if possible.

Thanks for all the help guys. I love reading about all the awesome catches you guys are getting.

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    The Mojo looks like a nice enough yak, but standing bight be iffy.
    If you could find an Ocean Kayak Prowler used on Craigslist, you might have a very capable craft in your price range, though you won't be able to stand easily (if at all) in it.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    I would recommend taking a hard look at the Hobie Quest 13' paddle kayak; well built, quick and an awesome fishing platform....but you'll need to save a few more bucks, as it's a bit over yor stated budget.
    http://www.hobiecat.com/paddle/quest-13/
  • Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Good Luck with your search.
  • Ralph-WiggumRalph-Wiggum Posts: 147 Officer
    Thanks for the info. I have been looking at the Pescador 12 for awhile now. I've been kicking myself over not buying that package a few weeks back when I could've gotten it for around $500 (sale + $100 off coupon). Unfortunately neither the 20% or the 15% off coupon work (the first is expired and apparently the kayak is excluded in the latter). If I can get a similar deal, though, I'd certainly be interested. Especially if I could find it in store and not have to pay the crazy shipping costs.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of good kayaks out there. Some work great for one and not for another. If you can, water test the kayak that you are looking at.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Take a look at the West marine Pompano (same boat as pescador, sans the seat) and wait for the sale. I scooped mine for only $399 last summer :-)
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback