BFT and Hammerhead (Pompano 7/25)

There was a ton of pilchards on pompano beach just south of the pier this morning. Took a couple doz and 2 gogs out at sunrise. Dead flat seas with a light SW breeze, but the current was SMOKING north. Paddled south a few miles and put out a stretch 25 plug that got hammered in 175'. 15lb blackfin, the first decent one I've managed to catch other than the jumbo that got sharked and some nerf football sized fish. It's no jumbo tuna but big enough to satisfy my sushi fix. Today was the first day I didn't catch a dozen bonita, that was a nice change. In 200' my gog gets hit and the fish was pulling drag real slow and steady. I just knew it was a shark and was surprised again when I saw the head. Got a leader touch and broke it off. I heard a lot of chatter on the radio about kings from 10-20# being caught and a few other tuna. Divers were everywhere looking for bugs. When I came back in at 10, the bait was nowhere to be seen. Tight lines.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    Nice Tuna. :)
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    man them HH are fun to catch they do put up a good fight.:cool
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • chefdtachefdta Posts: 188 Officer
    Nice catch... And to think I had the all clear to fish today but decided to sleep in instead. Seeing good reports from today!
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Nice work and great video bro ! Your a brave guy to put that BFT w all those trebbles so close to your leg.....personally, my feet go out when the trebs come in....lol Loved the shark shots !
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    It looks like that may be a big eye tuna, like the one that Flats Broke landed this month. Notice the difference on the pectoral fins from the previous ones you have caught. Your videos just keep getting better my friend. Great looking HH!
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Nice tuna. we got a bunch of footballs out there today, they are thick. That current was insaneeeeee. Fastest ive ever seen
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    I'm still skeptical about these fish being bigeye tuna. Do a google image search of blackfin tuna and you will see a mix of short and long finned pectorals.
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Thats a blackfin. Bigeye have bright yellow spikes and yellow tip on the dorsal
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • Poseidon10/31Poseidon10/31 Posts: 936 Officer
    I haven't been doing this long enough to be 100% sure, but it looked like a blackfin to me. Cookinman, I was praying the trebles stayed in the fish and not my leg. I didn't wanna dangle my feet in the water because I saw something big and grey follow my fish up and didn't want to lose a foot or another fish to the tax man. Thanks for the positive feedback on the vid. Catch em up guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jivariejivarie Posts: 127 Officer
    That's a respectably delicious BFT.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/kayakfishing - Help the kayakfishing community grow!