Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

??Shrimp??

Last weekend, took a trip down to the Ecofina river. On our way out to the flats off the river mouth we saw lots of feeding going on (falling tide). The water was not clear in the river so we could not tell for sure what was busting the bait or for that matter what was being busted. We were using Gulp New Penny Shrimp lures and only caught Catfish in the river. Water was about 3', and as said, dark, and the bait was being busted right below the surface. Could that have been Shrimp being fed on? I did not have a cast net with me and the dip net has large webbing and I didn't think to try dipping with it to see what it was (feeding was taking place all around us-even right beside the boat). I don't think it was Redfish as I never saw any tailing or any jumping bait, just the boils. I know some folks do Shrimp fish around the area but everyone I have asked about it says they do not usually see Shrimp in that river. So, anyone with experience on the Ecofina, what were we seeing?

Replies

• RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    Very small baitfish. I call them glass minnows. They are probably about an inch and a half long and look like a cloud in the water. You have to downsize to a very small lure usually when they are feeding on those things.
  • showmanshowman Posts: 539 Officer
    Thanks. At least I didn't miss out on getting some tasty Shrimps. Yep, all we caught around and in the feeding frenzy was Catfish. Oh well.
  • RhettleyRhettley Posts: 1,545 Officer
    There could have been shrimp in there. Glass minnows is my best guess but I'm not familiar with that area. I usually fish St. Marks or St. Joe. About the only way I know to be sure is to throw a cast net over the activity. Of course that would pretty much ruin any chance at gamefish. Try small top waters Like a small Storm Chug Bug or a crappie jig or small curly tail jig. The bigger fish will probably be around the edges or just off in deeper water.
  • showmanshowman Posts: 539 Officer
    The activity was right on the edge of the channel (what channel there is through there). We usually fish out of St Marks also but wanted to try a different place since the Scalloping season got into full swing. Think we will go back to St Marks.