Need Bimini crossing advise from the PROS

captbarflycaptbarfly Posts: 6 Greenhorn
I'm thinking of crossing to Bimini this Sunday the 21st and returning Weds the 24th. I've been watching the weather, and with the current forecast is hard to make a call either way. It will be two small boats crossing, a 23 Edgewater(single screw) and a 23 key west with twins. Any thoughts?, the forecast seems to be pretty much the same till around Thursday, but since I've never made the crossing in such small boats, I wanted to get an idea on what I can expect from the stream taking account the current forecast.

Thanks

Replies

• BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    captbarfly wrote: »
    I'm thinking of crossing to Bimini this Sunday the 21st and returning Weds the 24th. I've been watching the weather, and with the current forecast is hard to make a call either way. It will be two small boats crossing, a 23 Edgewater(single screw) and a 23 key west with twins. Any thoughts?, the forecast seems to be pretty much the same till around Thursday, but since I've never made the crossing in such small boats, I wanted to get an idea on what I can expect from the stream taking account the current forecast.

Thanks

Looks pretty good, you should be fine. Just be aware of Radar & storms as you leave. Next week looks typical for our summer pattern, seas less than 3'. Cant tell you how many trips we did back in the day in single engine 18' & 23' Sea Crafts. No problem there as long as the boats are in shape and have all safety gear up to date & maybe tools & some parts. Extra prop, plugs, water pump kit and fuel/water sep etc. On the stream, it runs north anywhere from 3-6kts. Looks like a E, SE to S wind so no issue there. Do about 35MPH cruise and be there in 1:45? Depends on beer & pee breaks :) Have a good time...

Use this weather site..."usually" pretty much on target.
    http://graphical.weather.gov/sectors/mflMarineDay.php
  • shamrock1188shamrock1188 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    Made it many times in a 20' Shamrock single engine with other boats. Don't be dead set on the day you are coming back. Plan on coming back the day the weather is good. If you are comfortable with going to the Gulf stream to fish you should be fine making the crossing.
  • biminibradbiminibrad Posts: 373 Deckhand
    As some one who has crossed a zillion times and had the crap beat of me enough(my own fault) I got my pilots lic, here is what I would say.
    Be sure you have 2 bilges, fuel water seps checked, test radio, carry ebirb or spot tracker and above all tell some one on this side " if you don't here by me x time, call coast guard" if you don't do this, standard protocol for coast guard is 24 hours before doing anything.i speak from experience unfortunately on this. Allow enough time for fishing on way over etc. with that said, most crossings are uneventful.
  • Fins13Fins13 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    biminibrad wrote: »
    As some one who has crossed a zillion times and had the crap beat of me enough(my own fault) I got my pilots lic, here is what I would say.
    Be sure you have 2 bilges, fuel water seps checked, test radio, carry ebirb or spot tracker and above all tell some one on this side " if you don't here by me x time, call coast guard" if you don't do this, standard protocol for coast guard is 24 hours before doing anything.i speak from experience unfortunately on this. Allow enough time for fishing on way over etc. with that said, most crossings are uneventful.

Biminibrad I thought you could not fish on the way over. Are you allowed for fish over.
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    no you cannot fish on your way across anymore.. we used to but rules and regulations with the people with badges have all changed for the worse.. (sad part is we also used to give away a bunch of our fish to people over there..! ) on your way back also you need to leave the skin on any bottom fish and gut the dolphin, tuna or wahoo you catch also. NO conch and no lobster aboard if it is not lobster season over on the U.S. side.. there are also limits of how much beer you can take over with you and the supplies that you take also.. if you are spearfishing list your pole spears on the fishing permit.. have a great time just do not cross any crazy rules that people make up. Sea Tow or Tow Boat US is the best deal you can get also in case of break downs extra prop or prop hub because when you load your boat heavy. some people will push way too hard and spin a hub and this can make a long crossing. take basic tools, red solo cups.. :) , a 30 amp to 110 electric plug and a extension cord also comes in handy for any dock stuff and a fan. remember the gulf stream is a powerful thing so keep a steady course and have fun. Straw Hats.. , extra sunglasses , Customs and Bahamian courtesy flag.. dock lines and bumpers, hose and a couple buckets, some fold out chairs are nice also. some bbq briquets come in handy sometimes if your marina has a grill.. ice is precious over there so take a good cooler that holds it and keep the lid shut!
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
    Now that you are here I guess I can say... Its safe to cross... :) Welcome...