Light rain Jacket recommendations

FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Deckhand
Hi guys, I need a light rain jacket that will actually repel rain and keep me dry, but that won't suffocate me during the summer months, also it has to pack small, I have to be able to carry it in a waist pack, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Felipe

Replies

• dunflydunfly Posts: 54 Deckhand
    I use a Marmot Precip jacket. It is light, breathable and packs down pretty small. Only downside is it doesn't have a lot of pockets. They list for about $100, but you can usually find one on the internet for about $70.
  • madflyfishingmadflyfishing Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    I second the Precip jacket. It packs small and works well if you are packing light.....I found mine for around $60.00 and free shipping.
  • mikewhalermikewhaler Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Picked up a froggs togg jacket at bass pro for 25 bucks. Used it a couple times and loved it. Super light weight and keeps you dry. Walmart also has them probably cheaper.
  • FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Deckhand
    thanks, I took a look at those Froggs Toggs, but I need something more packable, found a Columbia packable jacket for $35....it says water repellent, I hope it actually keeps me dry, the best thing is that it pack inside one pocket of my hip pack.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Scotch Guard it!
  • FreeFlyFreeFreeFlyFree Posts: 121 Deckhand
    Great tip! do you think Scotch guard could revive my good for nothing walmart "rain" jacket too? the fabric is a joke, the first drop that falls on it gets absorbed immediately.
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    LL Bean "stowaway" jacket and pants. Great products,great company.
  • ByFlyByFly Posts: 112 Deckhand
    Take a look at the new Columbia stuff. We have the super light wieght jackets at West Marine. Great item thats breathable, etc, wieght hardly an ounce. I run the fishing department at the largest West Marine super store and have it directly across from me in the Omni Freeze Zero display.
  • BendMenderBendMender Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Patagonia supercell. Simms makes a real nice gore-tex paclite jacket - probably twice as expensive as the other listed though.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Great tip! do you think Scotch guard could revive my good for nothing walmart "rain" jacket too? the fabric is a joke, the first drop that falls on it gets absorbed immediately.

Scotch Guard can probably save (revive) any old rain jacket... IMO it's worth a try anyway...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • clampmanclampman Posts: 130 Deckhand
    I also bought a Marmot pre-cip recently along with pants and a gore tex rain jacket from them as well. I like them all. The arms are long and not huge in diameter where they meet the trunk of the jacket, so the whole thing doesn't ride up when you raise your arms.

Both have zippers in the arm pits to let heat out as well. It is easy to fly cast while wearing them
  • teampryorteampryor Posts: 218 Officer
    Good thread with great responses
  • FinaticFinatic Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I am on my second set of Marmot precip. I've been comfortable in it in Florida summer storms and Alaska fall rain. It's awesome foul weather gear, my first set started to separate at the seam welds and the pocket zippers were falling apart, so they replaced with no questions asked. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for. It's always kind of hard to swallow when you make the purchase but there's no such thing as bad weather just bad gear.