Another short Bimini Trip Report!

OK, so we ignored any weather issues and headed to Bimini Sands for a Friday, Sat, Sun trip. Crossing was very nice, but had a short scare when a waterspout touched down about a boat length off our starboard. It then danced thru our wake as we scooted to some distance before some camera shots.

Sands was not busy early but as folks realized the weather wasn't bad, it had a fairly full dock.

Walking out of the condo, I hear someone call my name and had the great pleasure of meeting Bimini Brad and his lovely wife. What a great couple, after we met, they took the girls for a golf cart ride to the Infinity Pool, and then came back and picked up myself and Captain Rob, and gave us a tour of their beautiful beachfront condo. Man if you are renting and can get a reservation there, I highly recommend Brads place. The view is unbeatable!

OK, so fishing report.... Went out front to some deep drop hole and pounded the bottom until the reel was too hot to touch and didn't cat anything! My first deep drop skunk ever!.

OK, so after beating up the bottom, we decided to give Paul's area (Complete) a try and we set out the plastics. I swear we did not have lures in the water for 5 minutes before a rat Blue Marlin destroys the right long. Fifteen minutes later we have a 125-150# blued boatside for pics and a clean release.

Saturday, SW wind was a bit too much, so we stuck to plastics again and raise another rat blue but could not connect. Storm chased us in and when it cleared, we hit the bottom again and brought home a 30# misty for Saturday night dinner.

Hit the bottom again on the way home, caught a few silky's then put the plastics back out for a couple hours with no takers. Rid home was sweet and uneventful. Camera is on the other boat and they wont be back until tomorrow. I'll post the rat Blue pics then.

Great weekend at Bimini Sands. Of course all the talk is about the coming changes, but forget that for now. Fun Weekend and we are back over for a week starting the 27th.

Replies

• INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    Sounds like a fun trip. Would love to see some pix of the Blues....."rats" or not. :wink
  • CompleatCompleat Posts: 2,774 Captain
    Some people think its chest pounding when I talk about the blues here... Strange as it sounds I don't go for them to feed some ego thing. I do it cause right now its pretty much the only game in town. Easier to find one of them than a dolphin, tuna, or even stinky cuda... Nice that you got one. The rats are harder to get stuck(t least to me) than the big ones...
  • Sails and TalesSails and Tales Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Congrats Ron! I saw your Marlin release flag up when I was taking the boat back to the marina yesterday. Figured you bumped into one or more in the islands.
  • CNTDRCNTDR Great Harbor Cay, BahamasPosts: 887 Officer
    Sounded like a great trip! It is refreshing to read an actual Bahamas fishing report rather than all the politics and BS that is usually on here. Is the light at the end of the tunnel still turned off? lol
    Great Harbor Cay, Berry Islands, Bahamas
    pm me for rental info.
  • DAHOGKILLADAHOGKILLA Posts: 291 Deckhand
    Nice job Ron, its shocking the deep drop let you down especially in that spot "we" know about, there's always a queen or mystic around in that area...But great job on the billfish and that 30lb misty!!...Post some pictures!!!!

Question, how much was the customs fee? Has it changed like rumored or is it still same price as before?

I'm planning on crossing late this week
    BIG BOY FISHING TEAM
    MIAMI, FL
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Nice trip Ron, congrats!
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Great report Ron...gonna try and sneak across this weekend if i can!!!