Looking for walking catfish and hoplo (armored) catfish

Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Brevard county (Titusville) in a few weeks, and was hoping to spend a little time fishing for two exotic catfish (Hoplo and walking catfish). I know both these species have been found in the St. John's River, but I was wondering if anyone had specific localities as to where I might start fishing.

Also, I know the best way to catch hoplo is with a cast net, but I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for walking catfish?

All the best and thanks in advance!

-
Michael

Replies

• PeacockFeverPeacockFever Posts: 227 Officer
    dont live up in that area but I have caught walking catfish here in broward on dead minnows sitting on the bottom, they seem to like them, gotta fish at night for them though, thats when they're feeding. Regarding the armored catfish, the easiest way and fun way to catch them is by bowfishing or spearing them, put one of those frog spears on a broomstick or buy some pre-made spear and spear them, they are almost always in the shallows sucking on the algae and similar stuff.
    There's no such thing as too much bait!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,052 Moderator
    I've caught walking catfish even up here in Citrus county. They ate minnows.
    Caught the pleco's in a dipnet once.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • PoppopPoppop Posts: 181 Deckhand
    I spotted some armored catfish in Gemini Springs Park near the fishing pier. I didn't know exactly what they were untill I saw a description of them at Blue Springs. I could see them in the clear water at Gemini until I dropped a bait on their nose and then they flipped a few times and were buried in the bottom so I couldn't see them. I don't know if you would be allowed to spear them in the park.

Poppop
  • TimbaTimba Posts: 225 Deckhand
    I have always wondered if you could eat those things, they are the ones that come up for a breath in low oxygen right?
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinquish one man from another.":thumbsup:USA
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,052 Moderator
    Timba wrote: »
    I have always wondered if you could eat those things, they are the ones that come up for a breath in low oxygen right?

They come up I know. I dove in a spring and there were lots on them inside. They come up regularly to the surface I noticed ?
    Not sure if using the air like a gar or what ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Phantom309Phantom309 Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    Armored catfish are highly sought after by the Indian (Asian) population around here (Brevard Co). They throw cast nets for them.
    I talked to one of them fellows one day, said ya boil em, throw in lots of cury powder, peal em outta skin = delicacy ......