Home General Paddle Craft

Need for the Navionics Chart for Humminbird 386 ci?

MagooMagoo Posts: 47 Greenhorn
I have two Ocean Kayaks Prowlers 15'.
I am downsizing preparing for retirement.
I would like to go fish in the bay and ocean where I used to go with my boat that I have sold to cut expenses.
Do you feel that the Navionics Gold Plus is worth the $199 for my Humminbird 386 ci GPS/Fish Finder?
I will be fishing, freshwater lakes, the intercoastal and off shore in Miami.

Are Hot Spot fishing charts any good?

Your assistance is appreciated.
Gratefully,
Magoo

Replies

• drichard1986drichard1986 Posts: 498 Officer
    Nope. Find your own spots or if you dont want to take the time, Download the navionics App on phone for 10$ and transfer the waypoints in the areas you fish
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    I thought about it, having been down here in the keys all week. Having depth charts is nice, but its not like you can run 7 miles out in your kayak. Also, for $200 I would want Google Maps quality satellite imagery, but that's not what you get. You get the standard nautical nav charts.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,243 Admiral
    Nope. Find your own spots or if you dont want to take the time, Download the navionics App on phone for 10$ and transfer the waypoints in the areas you fish

This x2!
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • DixonDixon Posts: 56 Deckhand
    There is also a new product out this week that will give you the regular Gold nav charts, as well as the ability to view the SonarCharts on your plotter. Navionics+.
    So...if you go into areas where there is minimal or no charting, you can actually record on that 386 to a blank chip, upload...and then update your Nav+ chip later and view the new SonarCharts you've helped create.

As was mentioned, the mobile apps for your phone/tablet are fantastic as well.
  • Captain YakCaptain Yak Posts: 679 Officer
    If you want offshore info. FWC has all the wreck and reef coordinates on their website. You can enter and save them to your gps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you don't lose, you will eventually win.
    - Helio Gracie

Links:
    YouTube - SoFlo Kayak Fishing
    Valente Brother's Jiu-Jitsu Fort Lauderdale
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 47 Greenhorn
    Everyone,
    Thank you for your input.
    I am not a real tech or computer savy guy.
    I think once I am 100% on how to use my Humminbird 386ci it will work out well.
    For now I am following your advise and putting my own GPS numbers on my computer and loading on chip.
    Enjoying learning something new.
    Thank you again.
    Magoo