Bay side Marathon/Key Colony Beach

Anyone have any advice on were to fish on the bayside in these areas? I have strictly fished Atlantic side and don't know quite what to look for. Want to hit the Bayside on windy days for some Mangos or trout or anything tasty to bend a rod. I have a 24' Walk so it can't be too shallow. I'll be there starting July 3rd.

Thanks for the help guys.
24' Robalo

Replies

• bonebone Posts: 1,139 Officer
    6 miles north past bamboo banks. Look for sand patches in about 7-8 foot deep. Take squid and 2 or 3 chum blocks. Catch pinfish cut them up put on 1/4 once jigs. All the 14-18 inch mangroves and trout you want.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,865 Captain
    :Agree What he said. Depending on the wind direction, you can get on the lee side of the banks to stay out of the rough water. I like to drift & fish with cut bait on a jig, but you can anchor & chum around those bright spots. In most cases, those sand patches are also coral rock formations with holes that hold lobster & many varieties if reef fish. The trout will usually hold over & around the grass that surrounds them.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • ATC1ATC1 Posts: 113 Officer
    Awesome advice. Thank you. Where is Bamboo Banks? Is it on Top Spot maps?
    24' Robalo
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Look at the Middle Keys Top Spot. Go north/slightly north northeast, Bamboo Bank is marked, go a little more you will see Tripod Bank. On that chart, spots 18, 19, 27
    Member #10822
    avmech wrote: »
    Look at the Middle Keys Top Spot. Go north/slightly north northeast, Bamboo Bank is marked, go a little more you will see Tripod Bank. On that chart, spots 18, 19, 27

You guys are the best!
    24' Robalo
  • avmechavmech Posts: 1,362 Officer
    We will be hitting those very spots in August
    Member #10822
    How's the depth getting to those spots? Any problem getting a 24' W/A back there?
    24' Robalo
  • Death From AboveDeath From Above Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    What everyone said is the ticket. Easy shot from the Vaca cut. Suggest lots of chum and live shrimp in addition to cut bait. Once you get the mangos fired up, start drifting back some ballyhoo chunks behind the school. That's where the big boys are. I have a 33 WC and you should have no problems if you watch the charts and depth closely. When you get near any of the banks, slow down while you look for your spot. I have better luck on grass bottom in ~5' depths. Be careful if you anchor close to the banks as the wind and tide could swing you around a bit.

If you take the kids, throw out a topwater wire kingfish type rig. Caught lots of sharks, cero and cudas while the kids are tearing up the mangos.
    What everyone said is the ticket. Easy shot from the Vaca cut. Suggest lots of chum and live shrimp in addition to cut bait. Once you get the mangos fired up, start drifting back some ballyhoo chunks behind the school. That's where the big boys are. I have a 33 WC and you should have no problems if you watch the charts and depth closely. When you get near any of the banks, slow down while you look for your spot. I have better luck on grass bottom in ~5' depths. Be careful if you anchor close to the banks as the wind and tide could swing you around a bit.

If you take the kids, throw out a topwater wire kingfish type rig. Caught lots of sharks, cero and cudas while the kids are tearing up the mangos.

I'm taking the kids so that sounds great. Awesome advice. Thank you.
    24' Robalo
  • yakhunteryakhunter Posts: 138 Deckhand
    Hit this very area on Saturday with kids and had an excellent time. Nothing epic, but chum line had plenty of mangos for dinner. Got a surprise 13" yellowtail. Couple of bonnethead sharks entertained the youngsters. Live shrimp, frozen shrimp, squid, cut up pins all worked about the same... and now with the wind kicking up I'm hoping we'll be able to get back out there since the reef looks darn sporty.