Looking for a good used boat

NangNang Posts: 29 Greenhorn
Hey guys,

I am in the process in looking for a new boat (used but new to me). I am planning to compare brands, models, size, etc. But before I start telling you what I want I would like to start off introducing myself since I just joined this forum and this will be my second post ever.

I am a novice saltwater fisherman in the open water but pretty decent on the fishing pier though. Caught lots of different type of fish that is normally caught on piers from cobia to kings and as small as hardtails. I have not been out deep sea fishing since I can remember and all I really do now is freshwater fishing, hunting, and pier fishing in the gulf. I do not have any open water fishing equipment as of right now but will start on it little by little so when I do get my dream boat that I will have some ready. I live here in the metro Atlanta area but love to travel to fish and hunt. I think that is all that I could think of about myself

Now here is what I am leaning towards

Looking for a Center console boat that's around 28' for space. Most of the time I will have only have 2-3 people on the boat with me. I just love the extra space and do not like crowded boats whatsoever. Horsepower is not much of a must for me but 450-500hp is plenty. Electronics? I can't tell you about any open water electronics since all I really needed is a sonar/gps on my freshwater boat. So any suggestions would be nice. I will also be towing this boat from Atlanta area to wherever I am fishing at so it needs to be towable. I need to get me a bigger truck/suv to pull it as well since my current truck cannot handle the weight of that big boat. I am a Mercury fan since all my boats has Mercury outboards on them.

Ok here is what I was thinking about getting but I am always open to suggestions

Boston Whaler 280 Outrage
Mercury Verado 450-500hp
Simrad electronics

Tell me what you think about that. I am trying to get something like a 2011 model but don't want to break the bank since I am not a millionaire or business owner of any kind. I've been seeing boats of my specification costing well over what I'm paying for my house. I will try to work this boat into my budget within 2 years I hope. Thanks ahead for all the comments and any suggestions any and all of you have to offer.

Nang

Replies

• Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,273 Officer
    The best advice I can give is do what ever you can to get on as many different boats that are similar to what you want, using them in similar manners. Consider a boat club so you can try different hulls and make a more experienced decision. Paying others fuel bills for a day of fishing would be cheaper than buying the wrong boat and having to swap it out later. Plus can be a great way to make good friends.
    As for hp, wether you think you need it or not don't buy a boat that is powered much below what it is max rated for, you will regret it later. Your fuel burn will also be higher as those small engines are having to work to hard.
    Take your time, do your research, and crawl through as many different boats as you can. Being patient will lead to happiness in the end.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,088 Moderator
    How important is speed? How long do you plan on keeping the boat? Where / how are you planning on fishing, and for what? How / where are you keeping it? Is depth a concern?

Don't be afraid to think a little outside the lines. I don't think I'd want a CC that could only cruise at 25 knots, but 25knots is not exactly slow. Just sayin...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Sea-Vee-310-CC-101915286
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    How important is speed? How long do you plan on keeping the boat? Where / how are you planning on fishing, and for what? How / where are you keeping it? Is depth a concern?

Don't be afraid to think a little outside the lines. I don't think I'd want a CC that could only cruise at 25 knots, but 25knots is not exactly slow. Just sayin...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Sea-Vee-310-CC-101915286

EDIT: Oh, and copy what Kevinwings said.... try to get out there on as many boats as you can; keeping in mind safety. Lot of gas / fried chicken / beer / bait / tackle can be had for one boat payment. Be courteous, on time, helpful (WITHIN your skillset) while out there, and generous on the $ contribution and you'll grow popular quickly.

Watch and listen to what others like / hate and ask yourself how YOU feel about their likes / dislikes. Everybody is different. The smallest thing can drive you nuts and the one feature that sold you on a particular boat can become a non-issue after only a few trips. Be honest with yourself while looking around and just be smart. Again, I think one of the first questions you need to answer is HOW you want to use it and how long you plan on keeping it. Repowering with a new pair of outboards is insane. Keep that in mind if you go with high hour motors. Regardless of hour count, I'd want to see maintenance log and given the fact that you're looking at newer boats, I guess a dealer can hook up a computer and see the history on it. I'd do this for sure as an out of pocket expense before buying.

Going from messing around in a lake to 28' boat is a big jump, but everybody moves up at some point! Just be patient, keep an open mind, don't let your heart sing on Boat 1, or Boat 2, and keep asking questions.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
  • NangNang Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    I thank you for all the suggestions by the both of you. Kevinwwings2 that was the original plan to learn the open water was just to ride with people and pay for the fuel to get out there. I am taking all the time possible to make this the right boat. Panhandler80 Speed is not that big of an issue for me. The 500hp top is just enough for me with the top speed of 48 or so just to help with getting me out there and hauling the extra weight back to land. I am planning to push myself and get to as many boat as possible with different lengths to style and brand. I am very open minded and will take anything to consideration. I am not planning to get my boat until i feel very comfortable with my purchase. The way I am planning to keep my boat is in a open storage area since my subdivision does not allow boats to be parked in my drive way. I will do so until I find somewhere I feel very comfortable enough in Florida to leave my boat at like a Marina of some sort. More suggestions will be needed and will there be anyone that is willing to take me out to the open water and teach me some tips and tricks they have? Just pm me and I'll try to make an arrangement to get with you. I work Sunday-Friday every week so it's kinda hard if you know what I mean but I will try very hard to make it down there. Oh and I am planning to keep this boat for well over 10-15 years

Nang
  • golflaxfishgolflaxfish Posts: 455 Deckhand
    Welcome to the forum.. as said above, its best to fish from as many boats in that class as possible so you can make an informed decision based on what YOU want, not what someone else wants. with that being said, i think you will be short-changing yourself if you buy a boston whaler. all feelings aside, a whaler is still a production built boat that caters to the masses, as opposed to a hqrdcore fishing cc, or even a cc that is family friendly built by one of the other manufacturers. for the price of that 28 whaler, i bet you could find a 29 seavee, a 29 jupiter, or even a 28 hydra-sports (im not sure how recently they made the 2796 or 2800). as far as power is concerned, i too am a mercury fan, and any boat with verados is a sweet one.. hell, even the optis are great. for electronics, youre on the right track with simrad, but dont forget about companies such as raymarine and foruno, they make great products as well. you seem to be on the right track, just make sure its totally what you want, we here are just a guide to get you in the right direction.. :)
    1970 23 Seabird
    I appreciate it guys now what part of the forum do I have to go to ask for some help to getting me on the water? I'll pay for the gas and bait if needed I just want to go out to the open water and catch me some nice fishes

~Nang~

High dreams and planning to accomplish every single one of it on my own without any handouts.

KEEPING DREAMS ALIVE
    Tight lines everyone
    Shoot me a message if you're ever near Panama City.
    OK I will do

~Nang~

High dreams and planning to accomplish every single one of it on my own without any handouts.

KEEPING DREAMS ALIVE
    Tight lines everyone
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,712 Moderator
    You should start looking in your forum section of the state..There are always guys looking for some one to fill out a crew.. Try to meet some of the members at a FS show or over a cup of Joe/or cool one. Most guys like to meet someone first.
    larrywitt
    I'm always on the forum here in georgia but not many open sea guys. We normally meet up to do striper fishing or something of that nature and sometimes hunting. I don't mind getting to know people, I love to make new friends and enjoy every single minute of it until some people get crazy when they drink.