Beach Fishing Question: Seaweed, Wind & Chop

ChubbChubb Posts: 59 Deckhand
I woke up at 5:30 this morning and drove to the beach with my yak. Conditions were calm at my house (1/2 mile away) but when I hit the gulf, there were strong-ish Westerly winds, choppy water, and the tideline was a pile of seaweed...a ton of seaweed in the water too. Should I have just turned around and gone back to bed?*

*I didn't catch ****, the yak was drifting like a mofo, the water was rough, casting was impeded, and because of the waves and current, I didn't feel like I had any sensitivity in my rod tip using jerkbaits and a mirrodine. I tried wade fishing for a bit but it was a bust...however, I did see multiple large schools of very small minnows (1" long and skinny) cruising the beach and I thought these were the "bait pods" I'm supposed to be looking for.

I'd love to blame it on the conditions.

Replies

• Egreen cobraEgreen cobra Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Depends, I've had some pretty awesome mornings in nasty weather on Pinellas' beaches as a kid.
    The grass is the wild card though.

Nowadays, I can kind of tell how a day is gonna go, If I'm not feeling it, I go home. I have plenty of time to get out and fish- so I don't need to get frustrated fishing in tough conditions. As a kid- well I fished regardless.

I'd blame the grass.

Chubb wrote: »
    I woke up at 5:30 this morning and drove to the beach with my yak. Conditions were calm at my house (1/2 mile away) but when I hit the gulf, there were strong-ish Westerly winds, choppy water, and the tideline was a pile of seaweed...a ton of seaweed in the water too. Should I have just turned around and gone back to bed?*

*I didn't catch ****, the yak was drifting like a mofo, the water was rough, casting was impeded, and because of the waves and current, I didn't feel like I had any sensitivity in my rod tip using jerkbaits and a mirrodine. I tried wade fishing for a bit but it was a bust...however, I did see multiple large schools of very small minnows (1" long and skinny) cruising the beach and I thought these were the "bait pods" I'm supposed to be looking for.

I'd love to blame it on the conditions.
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    I'm in the east coast but when I surf fish for snook if there's no wind it's not worry going. The rougher it is the better the bite (I'm sure there's a limit to that though)
  • ChubbChubb Posts: 59 Deckhand
    onICE wrote: »
    I'm in the east coast but when I surf fish for snook if there's no wind it's not worry going. The rougher it is the better the bite (I'm sure there's a limit to that though)

With that chop, are you blind casting? I couldn't imagine sight casting.
  • If1shalldayIf1shallday Posts: 464 Officer
    If there is a lot of grass just leave. As far as wind, I don't feel like it makes a difference.
  • onICEonICE Posts: 988 Officer
    Blind casting sorta but I only fish at places where I know the fish are