Yellowfin running wild

Took a last minute trip to Venice La last week with the boss to see if we could take part in the Yellowfin fishery they have up there. Let me tell ya, it is unreal to say the least. Fished some floater rigs from 6000 ft the 1st day to 700 ft the 2nd and there were fish all over all of them. We had fish ranging from 40-100 lbs, on both live baits and topwater plugs.

Ill try to get the pics up.

95yftuna.jpg

johnnyyftuna.jpg

myyftuna.jpg

venicetuna.jpg
www.fintasticinc.com
Lagerhead Fishing Team
Team Cabo Loco

Replies

• PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Man! thanks for this post. You got em! Good work. Wow, what a life huh.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • tokinredtokinred Posts: 202 Officer
    Looks like an awesome trip. I have soy sauce, will travel. When's dinner?????
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,729 AG
    Nice pics, those will flat wear you out, my arms hurt just looking at those pics.:grin
    Now I am gonna have to find some yellowfin steaks for dinner.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Tyson BrownTyson Brown Posts: 41 Deckhand
    BEautiful fish - what colors.
  • djsmallzdjsmallz Posts: 56 Deckhand
    Wow, nice fish, I vote for non working rigs of any sort in this area so we can have at it like that as well
    "One has to go fishing in order to catch fish"....:wink
  • gordo35gordo35 Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Looks like Mars or Ursa in the background? Venice is an awesome place with great people and geography that allows you to fish for something in almost any kind of weather. I moved down here from Mississippi almost 4 years ago and still try to get back twice a year to fish with my old fishing buddies back there to get my fix.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Saw ya on the local news, with Capt. Doug. Fish n chips segment. Or was it Finatic charters?
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Popeye wrote: »
    Saw ya on the local news, with Capt. Doug. Fish n chips segment. Or was it Finatic charters?
    Fintastic is my charter biz. I've been doing the offshore trips for them for about 5 years now. We have some good ones coming up soon, with Blackfin,Yellowtails, and Grouper fishing.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • the great wallthe great wall Posts: 254 Officer
    fantastic trip capt steve. I had two good trips this year, went 6/8 on a full day private in march and 7/7 in a charter this july. What was your tally for the two days?

I'm saving up my $$ now, planning a june trip with mike ellis, and a overnighter on a friends boat, maybe even a third full day if we don't get burnt out. Lemme know if you want in, id be nice to carpool the way up. We have free lodging, and fishing on my buddies boat is just split fuel, only 1 day of charter expenses.
  • Fintastic.IncFintastic.Inc Posts: 251 Deckhand
    Capt. Mike is the man up there.
    We had I believe 9 fish total for both days. The fish were all over the place on the surface but were pretty spooked, and would not stay up for long. I an heading back up there next month for the bigger fish so Ill keep ya posted.
    www.fintasticinc.com
    Lagerhead Fishing Team
    Team Cabo Loco
  • the great wallthe great wall Posts: 254 Officer
    Make sure you have the crack baits. You can catch em on the shallow rigs, but I prefer to pull up to a weedline, make a small hole with your rod tip in the middle of it, and work the sabiki like your icefishing the hole. You get the small 4-5 inch hardtail baits that way. Last time I went to our rig, on the shelf we found out we shouldn't have wasted the first two hours looking for the hardtails, as they were on the rig we were fishing. PM me for the rig spots.

BTW, good luck next month on the larger tunas behind the shrimp boats at the lumps, wish I could go! :fishing
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,019 Moderator
    Good looking tuna there, nice job Steve.
  • IdlewildeIdlewilde Posts: 1,357 Officer
    Nice pics. :thumbsup
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,395 Admiral
    Awesome !!! :beer
    Make sure you have the crack baits. You can catch em on the shallow rigs, but I prefer to pull up to a weedline, make a small hole with your rod tip in the middle of it, and work the sabiki like your icefishing the hole. You get the small 4-5 inch hardtail baits that way.

What are "hardtail baits" / "crack baits"? Thanks!
  • gordo35gordo35 Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    "Hardtail baits" are Hardtails, aka Blue Runners. "Crack baits" are baby hardtails, namely the 3-4" or so variety.
    Thanks! My first guess was runners.
  • AAnglerAAngler Posts: 340 Deckhand