Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Upper Tampa Bay Tarpon - Newbie Question

Do people target tarpon near the Courtney Campbell bridge and the Howard Franklin bridge? If so, how does it compare to the skyway and the beaches this time of year?

The hotspot map also lists an area near the bayside bridge? Does this hold tarpon at all?

Asking all these questions because I am trying to put a friend on tarpon and the bay is easier to fish in my flats boat than the beaches. If necessary, the beaches can work on a calmer day.

Thx

Replies

• DKDDKD Posts: 375 Deckhand
    Tarpon can be caught at any of the bridges in Tampa, but I generally do much better at the Skyway, Egmont and the the beaches.
  • DaBudDawgDaBudDawg Posts: 168 Deckhand
    There are Tarpon to be caught north of the Courtney Campbell....:wink
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman St. PetePosts: 945 Officer
    Do people target tarpon near the Courtney Campbell bridge and the Howard Franklin bridge?

Yes
    If so, how does it compare to the skyway and the beaches this time of year?

The beaches and Skyway are much more productive this time of year (late-June). Now, in a couple of weeks when the tarpon are much lighter in weight (some already are), it can be different. But, this is something that will never be discussed on a forum... Just for the simple reason that it does not look like the Skyway or Egmont in the future (ie. 100 boats)