Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Only one camera lens

BonePfishBonePfish Posts: 14 Greenhorn
If you had to choose one lens to take with you on a wintertime flyfishing trip for redfish in Louisiana, what would you take? I am interested in mainly taking "grip and grin" type pictures. I have a Rebel T3i.

Replies

• ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    If flexibility is more important than absolute sharpness then an 18-200 or similar would be the way I would go.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    as a long time canon user i would suggest the ef 28-135 IS USM...
    it's my favorite "walk around" glass and will get you the "grip and grin" shots and have a relatively decent reach as well...
    they are inexpensive and well made....

18-200mm zooms have too much zoom ratio to give you a sharp image....i wouldn't own one for any reason...
    but that's just me...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,397 Captain
    With an 18MP camera you do have the ability to crop zoom quite a bit and a sharper lens cropped to 200mm equivalent may look better than the 200mm lens output uncropped. I would be more concerned about losing the 10mm on the wide end than anything.
  • OnewolfOnewolf Posts: 657 Officer
    Chuckc wrote: »
    With an 18MP camera you do have the ability to crop zoom quite a bit and a sharper lens cropped to 200mm equivalent may look better than the 200mm lens output uncropped. I would be more concerned about losing the 10mm on the wide end than anything.

I agree 28mm (~45mm effective) on the wide end is not very wide. I have the Canon 24-85 (and Canon 24-105L IS) and even 24mm is frequently not wide enough.
    *** Tidewater 2100 Yamaha F150 ***
    *** Native Watercraft Magic 14.5 ***
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    24m is near perfect if you are shooting FF. :)
    24m is near perfect if you are shooting FF. :)

What's the price difference between a 300mm f4 lens and a 500mm f4 lens to achieve approx equivalent focal length between 1.6 crop and FF? ;)
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
    Onewolf wrote: »
    What's the price difference between a 300mm f4 lens and a 500mm f4 lens to achieve approx equivalent focal length between 1.6 crop and FF? ;)

Well, let's see. First of all you are a 1.6 crop guy so that means you shoot Canon.

But to answer your question:

1. One answer is it costs me zero because all I have to do is push a couple of buttons on the camera body to force it to "see" the 1.5 crop factor moving the percieved angle of view to 450mm. EZPZ.

2. I already own a 300mm f/2.8 Nikkor so spending about $500 on a 1.4 or 1.7 TC gets me there.

3. I can cough up $5K for a used Nikkor AFS 500mm f/4.

Number three is the answer you were expecting isn't it!? :rotflmao
    Option 1 = $2800
    Option 2 = $5800 (lens) + $500 (TC). Since we are not talking about your existing equipment, we are talking about the 99.99% of SLR photographers that don't own a 300/f2.8
    Option 3 = $8700. Used lenses are for the hoi polloi.
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
    Onewolf wrote: »
    Option 1 = $2800
    Option 2 = $5800 (lens) + $500 (TC). Since we are not talking about your existing equipment, we are talking about the 99.99% of SLR photographers that don't own a 300/f2.8
    Option 3 = $8700. Used lenses are for the hoi polloi.

Hoi Polloi = the many or the masses. Thus you are saying used lenses are for the many (or for the masses.) Hmmmmm. So let me understand. Then you are saying you are unwilling to purchased used. :shrug The view from my chair sees your attitude as rather elitist and perhaps inflexible.

That is a personal decision that I cannot make for you. If that is your decision I can respect it but I don't get, really since there are soooo many good used lenses in the marketplace. In fact, In know where a very nice used 500mm f/4 Canon is sitting as I write this. See my point is that if you, or anyone for that matter pays the "full nut" prices you report above, either a client or someone else (an agency, perhaps) is footing the bill or perhaps a person has money to burn.

I looked at your web page. It looks like you have plenty of hobbies and by deduction some discretionary money.

Further, I don't get your point, you seem angry that you haven't gone full frame. Am I missing something?

Sure we are talking about what I own. As with a boat, or dive gear, underwater cameras or RC boats stuff get accumulated over time. Everyone has to make decisions. Just because you would have to go out and get something to be "equal" with whomever you think you are competing against doesn't mean everyone does. I spent some of my money on camera stuff. It looks like you spent your money on other stuff.

Furthermore, no one said this game is cheap. If you want to play at the highest level you have to step to the plate and pony up - it is like that with anything.

FWIW, while I have some money spent, it is NO WHERE NEAR the figures you are talking about above.