Offshore - Pass A Grille

Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
Went offshore yesterday (8/23) looking for red grouper. Glassy HOT!! Then the non-existent Red Snapper kept getting to the bait first. Really hurts to release 10-15# fish. I did manage an 18# red grouper - 117' SW of Pass A Grille

Replies

• tokinredtokinred Posts: 202 Officer
    Nice job, Jack. Sounds like you got dinner for sure. I'm not sure what you're talking about though, I thought those ARS were extinct???? I keep hoping we will get another weekend only snapper season, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen. Thanks for the report.
  • luckyduck2luckyduck2 Posts: 208 Deckhand
    thank you
    JOBS,JOBS,JOBS, We need JOBS , I can't afford anymore change, We've had (ENOUGH) MR.obama
    http://www.availableangler.com/
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,057 AG
    Thanks for the heads up Jack. Did you hit the AJ hole?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Went offshore yesterday (8/23) looking for red grouper. Glassy HOT!! Then the non-existent Red Snapper kept getting to the bait first. Really hurts to release 10-15# fish. I did manage an 18# red grouper - 117' SW of Pass A Grille
    Jack, great report. More specifics would help me . Im dumb. :cookoo
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    Popeye wrote: »
    Jack, great report. More specifics would help me . Im dumb. :cookoo

Not a lot of other details to report. We just got to a depth where we were reading hard bottom on the machine and started looking for fish on the bottom. No numbers in an area is sometimes a good thing. Makes you work and appreciate your electronics. They are a lot better then the old Ross Straightline I started with in the 70's. Back to the basics produced fish. We got our limit of 6 reds and quit at 2:00. With no numbers for structure in the area, and with the sun being ultra hot, we didn't even bother looking for mango's or AJ's, but did catch 1 banded rudderfish.
  • EggsuckindogEggsuckindog Posts: 1,528 Officer
    Jack you never had an Apelco spinner - actually worked pretty good
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi
    dscf1243-1.jpg
    Not a lot of other details to report. We just got to a depth where we were reading hard bottom on the machine and started looking for fish on the bottom. No numbers in an area is sometimes a good thing. Makes you work and appreciate your electronics. They are a lot better then the old Ross Straightline I started with in the 70's. Back to the basics produced fish. We got our limit of 6 reds and quit at 2:00. With no numbers for structure in the area, and with the sun being ultra hot, we didn't even bother looking for mango's or AJ's, but did catch 1 banded rudderfish.
    What tackle wer ta usin,what pound mono/braid/ what reels/sticks/bait/weights/. Jack , we will turn you into a true FS reporter. Thanks!

Mark Twain
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,377 Moderator
    30# momoi diamond on a Saltiga 50H reel, on a custom built Batson Enterprises TS 70 MH (Rainshadow) blank, spiral wrapped, with 6 oz of lead, #5 swivel and red plastic bead, above a 5' 50# Triplefish Camo leader tied to a 9/0 Gama 4X circle with a lizardfish for bait. Water temp was 86* on top and glassy smooth. Bottom was flat & hard. Thunderstorm and waterspout to the east. 1.5 knot current from the North, Saw 1 other boat all day and it was 2 miles away. Would you like a diagram now??? :rolleyes
    30# momoi diamond on a Saltiga 50H reel, on a custom built Batson Enterprises TS 70 MH (Rainshadow) blank, spiral wrapped, with 6 oz of lead, #5 swivel and red plastic bead, above a 5' 50# Triplefish Camo leader tied to a 9/0 Gama 4X circle with a lizardfish for bait. Water temp was 86* on top and glassy smooth. Bottom was flat & hard. Thunderstorm and waterspout to the east. 1.5 knot current from the North, Saw 1 other boat all day and it was 2 miles away. Would you like a diagram now??? :rolleyes
    No thanks Jack. You pretty much gave a total report. Oh yeah, What did ya have fer lunch? :Rockon

Mark Twain