Irene in Bimini

Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 248 Deckhand
So let's assume the Cone of Death remains on the current track...How would you summarize Bimini's ability to make it through a Cat2-3 storm. Are they battle hardened and this is just a little rain squall or will this knock out their power and water for a month. I'm heading over for Labor Day and am trying to figure out how screwed we are.

Replies

• isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    I would say that it is not looking good. Plan B
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    I wouldn't be counting on those plans working out. Even in the middle of the summer with no storms around, Bimini looses power often for periods of time, never mind the possibility of a (potential) Cat 3 storm rolling through. I believe the Bahamas as a whole are in for a tough fight on this one. What I'd be concerned about most going over after the storm is getting quality fuel, water, and of course power.
    72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
    www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
    http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM
  • BCSAILSBCSAILS Posts: 436 Deckhand
    We really need the "dirty side" to stay NE of Bimini. As projected the core 100+ winds seems about 30 miles wide so Bimini should miss the brunt "if" it stays on course. Bimini will see 50kt winds most likely coming off the Gulfstream side from the West winds as the storm rotates around. Somewhat like Wilma but hopefully not as bad.....
  • SpectacularVSpectacularV Posts: 136 Officer
    Lets see, I grew up in New Orleans and survived Katrina. I got out of town, however my boat had a building fall on top of it. North Bimini is about 4 miles long and 1/4 of a mile wide and the highest point on the island is the cell tower. Cat 3 within 50 miles, no matter what side, no protection from wind or tidal surge, possibility of tornados and getting their *** kicked for 6 to 10 straight hours. There will not be too many Hurricane Parties on that sandbar. I hope those folks get out of dodge. I dont expect to see much left if this happens. Take a look at pics from Biloxi Mississippi and 20 miles inshore, after Katrina landed on their beach as a CAT 3. Thats Real.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • divn4$divn4$ Posts: 1,530 Captain
    isla21 wrote: »
    I would say that it is not looking good. Plan B

:Agree
    1376843400_20_1_USD_6.25_default.png

Go Navy.....
  • Fins13Fins13 Posts: 257 Deckhand
    Plan B head to the keys the yellowtaiingl is hot and so are the lobster.
    Lets see, I grew up in New Orleans and survived Katrina. I got out of town, however my boat had a building fall on top of it. North Bimini is about 4 miles long and 1/4 of a mile wide and the highest point on the island is the cell tower. Cat 3 within 50 miles, no matter what side, no protection from wind or tidal surge, possibility of tornados and getting their *** kicked for 6 to 10 straight hours. There will not be too many Hurricane Parties on that sandbar. I hope those folks get out of dodge. I dont expect to see much left if this happens. Take a look at pics from Biloxi Mississippi and 20 miles inshore, after Katrina landed on their beach as a CAT 3. Thats Real.

As of this morning, 8/23 the core has shifted east. If it holds on that path its puts the eye about 130 miles NE of Bimini crossing the Abacos mid island so it looks like Bimini will be fine on this one and stay on the clean side of the storm. Labor Day weekend should be fine....
  • 2fastlx2fastlx Posts: 407 Deckhand
    BCSAILS wrote: »
    As of this morning, 8/23 the core has shifted east. If it holds on that path its puts the eye about 130 miles NE of Bimini crossing the Abacos mid island so it looks like Bimini will be fine on this one and stay on the clean side of the storm. Labor Day weekend should be fine....

I like this, we were gonna head over for Labor Day too. I would love Irene to take her fat @ss way out east and miss everybody though.
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 248 Deckhand
    So now I guess the question is, where do they get their power from? How far east and on what island is their power plant and water treatment?
  • ScarabChrisScarabChris Posts: 39 Deckhand
    Al Bundy wrote: »
    So now I guess the question is, where do they get their power from? How far east and on what island is their power plant and water treatment?

Bimini produces its own power and gets is fuel from Florida. I think they produce their own drinking water as well. Not sure about municipal water for plumbing though.

Never been to Bimini huh? Power plant is on north island with under ground/water cable to south island 200 yards away. North island has RO water plant for Bimini Bay and some hotels and most homes have Cisterns that will be chock full. South island also has RO plant for Bimini Sands and all homes on Cisterns. Water treatment should be fine as well for the hotels/resorts if power is on and all homes are on Septic. They should be fine, 20-30Kt winds with a few guests to 50 kts...its not their first Rodeo and should be fine for Labor Day weekend and would not rule out planned trips just yet, unless storm pulls last minute "crazy ivan" and hooks West, but I dont see that happening. Will know by Friday...
  • Al BundyAl Bundy Posts: 248 Deckhand
    this will be my second trip and I guess on my first trip we ran out of time to conduct our survey of the local infrastructure...must have been that drinking and fishing thing. Will be sure to complete our study this time.
  • SpectacularVSpectacularV Posts: 136 Officer
    Looks like some prayers have been answered and the nice folks on Bimini will be spared the worst. A lot of us enjoy the getaway to Bimini so I only wish them the best. Irene keep moving east!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kckc Posts: 449 Officer
    Will see you guys there Labor Day.
    this will be my second trip and I guess on my first trip we ran out of time to conduct our survey of the local infrastructure...must have been that drinking and fishing thing. Will be sure to complete our study this time.

Ahahahha...ok, but make sure to do the coal mine tour also! Its right next to the Nuclear plant! There's good fishing around Bimini???? Who knew..... :)
  • Reel TeaseReel Tease Posts: 659 Officer
    On the Bright side, which isn't to bright but a week after Irene a trip to Bimini might lead you guys to monster fish and tons of fish. With the gulf stream pushing everything up you might run into plenty of floating debris. Imagine, it passed through or by PR, DR, Haiti, and the Bahamas. I'd say they'll be plenty of trash and plenty of fish. if the boats big enough stay on the boat, and hope the gas at the marina is fresh, if there is any.

Good Luck and be safe.
  • JustTheTipJustTheTip Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Bimini produces its own power and gets is fuel from Florida. I think they produce their own drinking water as well. Not sure about municipal water for plumbing though.

FYI Bimini fuel comes from Nassau, if you think you'll need some fuel you might want to check first. There might be some supply interruptions.