18’ Dolphin backcountry $7200

boneflybonefly Posts: 22 Greenhorn
1987 18’Dolphin backcountry, beam 7'7", no wood construction w/ 1999 150hp Mercury EFI & Arrow Aluminum float on trailer, AM, FM, CD player, Garmin GPS/sounder, aerator timer, cockpit lights, Dual Optima Batteries, battery switch. 4 blade and 3 blade SS props. Engine rebuilt this last year. Boat was been refinished about 3-4 years ago; wires, new fuel tank. Tower 2 year old. Just installed stainless hydraulic hatch lifts and removable helm seat. Cushions for back hatch included. Goes 50+ but easily cruises 35-40. Usable now – I used it two days ago but needs slight fiberglass work Dolphin Boats estimates $1000. Call 305 815-6753

$5600 drives it away. $5200 if I keep gel batteries and GPS

I just reduced price so I can move boat out of garage and put in my other one

Replies

• troyotatroyota Posts: 30 Deckhand
    can you send pics of where fiberglass needs fixing
  • JStripJStrip Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Would also like to see the fiberglass work needed
  • boneflybonefly Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    Hope the pic shows. I will try and get a better shot
    Please check thread added pic
  • Strangegill88Strangegill88 Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Hey Bonefly, I see it looks like you're wanting to get a newer version of the boat you're selling. Do you think the build quality of the Dolphin Boats is good? I am looking at a 1994 20ft w/ a Yam 200 on the back. Not sure about it though, not much storage and the livewell is only @ 8 gallons. Just wondering your opinion of the builder? I contacted Dolphin and they weren't much help except that there's no wood in em since like 84/85.
    Strangegill,

Dolphin has always been a strong hull. I have owned 3 and am looking at a fourth. I am also considering a 20 or 22 myself though I agree the storage on 20 is lacking. And 8 gallons is small but you can supplement with a standalone tank. It has a strong V and will ride better than many bigger boats.

In particular to the backcountry I own the one I have up for sale now but have also owned 2 Shipokes and 1 Sidewinder before which is the same hull. Awesome ride for 18 footers. Nice to have a boat I can fish bonefish one day sails the next - flamingo or Bimini.
    Ps. I had a boat built in 91 and the builder at the time was awesome. Fit may have not been as nice as some boats now between the cap and hull but loved the boat. He was still building in 94...I am old...
    Thanks for the info Bonefly....LOL to your last comment too.... I just hit the half century mark myself this year and can't believe it.
  • HookedGoodHookedGood Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    location?
    Turnpike near sw 120 street exit
    Turnpike at about sw 136 st
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    bonefly wrote: »
    Strangegill,

Dolphin has always been a strong hull. I have owned 3 and am looking at a fourth. I am also considering a 20 or 22 myself though I agree the storage on 20 is lacking. And 8 gallons is small but you can supplement with a standalone tank. It has a strong V and will ride better than many bigger boats.

In particular to the backcountry I own the one I have up for sale now but have also owned 2 Shipokes and 1 Sidewinder before which is the same hull. Awesome ride for 18 footers. Nice to have a boat I can fish bonefish one day sails the next - flamingo or Bimini.

The early Dolphins were very well built. You guys think you're old......I bought my Shipoke from Fred Archibald in 1980. Those very early Shipokes still had the Sidewinder (which was a ski boat) hook in the hull.....the only boat I ever knew for which trim tabs were almost useless. And that was a good thing about the Dolphins....they took the hook out, right from the beginning. So you needed to add trim tabs, but at least you could get the bow up a little if you wanted to. This was impossible in the early Shipokes, and I pearled my boat several times in rough weather.

As far as the bait well goes, remember that this is a flats skiff....primarily designed for fly fishing for tarpon, when it was originally designed. Also, they didn't live bait the same way that we do in skiffs today. My Shipoke held about a dozen mullet and would hold a few more tarpon-sized pinfish. I never had a problem with shrimp or crabs, the point being that I don't think there was ever more than about 8 gallons of water in my live well, either (at rest).

IMO, Shipokes/Dolphin Backcountrys, are Lower Keys skiffs. They would also be very useful on the East Coast, like in the St. Lucie/Loxahatchee/Indian River systems. I also had my Shipoke in the Captiva/Pine Island Sound area and had NO problems getting to redfish. These boats are NOT for Flamingo, or any place where you might want to fish for tailing bonefish. ("normal" bonefishing is OK and I never had a problem with that, either)

These boats are actually only 17' 10" LOA, but they are the "biggest boats" of that size that you will ever find. They are the Cadillacs of technical poling skiffs. It also seems that the OP has his listed at a very fair price, at least if that issue with fiberglass is simply a cosmetic one.
    .......Rick
  • MadpoodleMadpoodle Posts: 752 Officer
    Anyone remember Hi Miler?

What type of damage is that on the bottom?
    Water rat

Get ready to rock and roll South Florida, theres a NEW tournament on the horizon that's gong to change your world!
    Madpoodle wrote: »
    Anyone remember Hi Miler?

What type of damage is that on the bottom?

Hi folks. Let me post some picks of damage. I can not tell extent as I could not find a break in the glass just gel. I can not guarantee it though. Sorry about the quality of some pics I did try and capture damage well so that no one wastes their time.

I am offering the boat at this price because I am aware it will need some glass work. This is still an excellent boat.

the following are pics of the rest of hull and trailer

Thanks all for consideration
    I'm in West Palm Area and boat is in Miami.
    Feel free to call me even if not interested but want to discuss boat(s). :-)
    T
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    Good luck with your sale. I proudly own a 96 backcountry 18...bonefish to sailfish....it's the one you want to ride home in when that wind picks up and you're still at the Harney river.
  • HechambersHechambers Posts: 66 Deckhand
    Pm'd you
    kbkeys wrote: »
    Good luck with your sale. I proudly own a 96 backcountry 18...bonefish to sailfish....it's the one you want to ride home in when that wind picks up and you're still at the Harney river.

Agreed. This is why I am buying a new one :-)
    Sold. Thank you all for interest shown.