Dock Light Kayak Fishing

I have a lot of success catching snook of lights using Yo-Zuri Crystal Minnows and Blue Fox Vibrax Minnows. I'm curious as to what you guys use out there too?

Replies

• One more castOne more cast Posts: 145 Officer
    Topwater lures amd doas are my favorites
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    DOA CAL jigs and small flies on the flyrod always get the bites. Yo-Zuris work well but i cant afford to loose those high dollar lures lol
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    fly rod i like small 1 inch epoxy shrimp,and polar fleece minnows about two inches long.If tarpon are around i will up that polar fleece minnow to about 3.5 to 4 inches
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 749 Officer
    DOA's, and flies.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    I wouldn't recommend a +$10 lure while fishing around structure. Lures for dock fishing should be expendable. I have never heard of anybody using an inline spinner for anything except mackerel.
    My favorite dock lures are DOA shrimp, zoom flukes, and CALs. Glow colors especially work well.
  • chefdtachefdta Posts: 188 Officer
    DOA shrimp - DOA terror eyz
  • inshorefiremaninshorefireman Posts: 152 Officer
    Doa Cals rigged weedless to help avoid hang ups and doa shrimp!
  • bob8619bob8619 Posts: 301 Officer
    I'm interested in what color you all like to use for this type of fishing. I've been striking out left and right at docks and night fishing in general...
  • ChobeeboysChobeeboys Posts: 417 Officer
    DOA Cals rigged weedless or Charlie's viper mullet, DOA shrimp and as previously said glow colors work well, however lately I have been doing real well with darker colors
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan
  • Snookking98Snookking98 Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Thanks for the help guys! According to you guys it looks like the D.O.A lures are the way to go. Going to stock up on those soon. Blue fox sure gets it done suprisingly to even though its a killer freshwater lure.
  • inshorefiremaninshorefireman Posts: 152 Officer
    **** has a really good deal on doa shrimp kits, they come with a variety of colors. I think it's like 120 bucks worth of shrimp. They have a terror eyz kit too.
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    Today was the second time I have heard of people using dry flies for snook. It makes sense that they would be eating the insects that are attracted to the light. Just tied up a ridiculously large white adams, just need the weather to cooperate to try it out.
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 537 Officer
    DOA shrimp and cals do it for me. Not surprised with the inline spinners. Took my son our to choko outside islands and he schooled us on redfish using the bait. Made me a believer.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • 1OzLead1OzLead Posts: 352 Officer
    DOA Terror Eyez and Shrimp in Root Beer and gold fleck.
  • teamshrinkteamshrink Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Where are there good dock kayak fishing spots?
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,114 Officer
    zooms, finese, and storms on a 1/4 ounce jig head. Color doesn't seem to matter at night although guys I know only use pink.
  • chefdtachefdta Posts: 188 Officer
    teamshrink wrote: »
    Where are there good dock kayak fishing spots?

The docks with fish under em of course... Couldn't resist :)

I have luck with the ones close to inlets and in the canals that lead into spillways. Also docks that are good ambush points with good water flow. Go at night and look for lights - especially green submerged lights.