Recommend a fly for tarpon St Pete

Camera guyCamera guy Posts: 89 Greenhorn
Can I get a a couple of recommendation on what flies to use in the St Pete area?

Replies

• hooknsnookhooknsnook Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    char/yell tarpon toads I need to get out some time and throw a few of these at the fish my self..lol
  • Camera guyCamera guy Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I've heard about "toads" I was thinking on loading up on sizes and was curious if they were effective.
    Thank you the info
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Toads. Chartreuse/yellow....black/purple......1/0 and 2/0.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Camera guyCamera guy Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    Thank you. I went to
    Orlando outfitters and pick up some toads in chartreuse and white. I tied up some bait fish patterns using EP as a guide. Now I just need to get out and give a go. I appreciate the feedback.

I've booked a guide, Greg Peterson for July out of Tampa, as it is the area I plan on fishing. The way I see it, using a guide is the best way of getting good information.
  • dunflydunfly Posts: 54 Deckhand
    I use toads in a variety of colors, as well as, tarpon bunnys. I think size and color are more important than the actual pattern.
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    dunfly wrote: »
    I use toads in a variety of colors, as well as, tarpon bunnys. I think size and color are more important than the actual pattern.

Funny....I was thinking about that myself. Whereas I agree with you 100%, in my day it was generally an accepted tenet that West Coast tarpon flies were a little larger than Keys flies. Does that still hold true?
    .......Rick
  • clampmanclampman Posts: 130 Officer
    I think size and color are more important than the actual pattern.
    I agree. But I think toads are a little easier to fish when you are staked out because of that "trim tab" up front. It will follow the line up when strlpping (if using a floating line) better than regular flies so you can cast sooner to incoming fish then bring it up quicker, if necessary, just by stripping faster initially.

I use bigger flies bayside in the upper keys than oceanside - but I've never fished the west coast. I usually fish bayside in lower light than oceanside too, and often the water is a bit cloudy besides.