DIY - Milk Crate Lid

I haven't capsized my kayak yet, but I have fallen out and tilted it enough to wonder if not having a lid on my milk crate was a liability. Vertical jigs and deep divers aren't cheap.

So, I picked up a second milk crate from The Container Store ($10) and cut the bottom off of it. I left about 1.5" (basically where the mesh starts, leaving only the bottom frame and bottom mesh). Since milk crates are designed to be stacked, they interlock. The sawed off bottom makes a perfect lid. I put zip ties on one side to serve as the "hinge" and I use a rubber twist tie to lock down the other side. The lid also makes a great place to set stuff down quickly or as a platform to cut bait. $10 is a little expensive, but worth it if you don't want to dump your gear.

Replies

• Lt.FireDogLt.FireDog Posts: 1,112 Officer
    Looks Good! thumbs_up_smiley.gif
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    Nice set up.
  • wizfisherwizfisher Posts: 2,387 Officer
    Nice.
  • ChobeeboysChobeeboys Posts: 417 Officer
    Looks good, nice little design and no rust.
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan
  • LilTucciLilTucci Posts: 189 Officer
    Looks like it would work great and cheap to make at that, might have to make one myself and test it out
    Check out my youtube channel, many more fishing videos to come
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Liltuccii/videos

Log your trips and help the SGF with accurate stock assessments, great site
    http://angleraction.org
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 842 Officer
    Brilliant, Better patent it before I do!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • FlatsManiacFlatsManiac Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Thats a great idea!
  • YaktalesYaktales Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    Awesome idea,Thanks for sharing!