Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Dinner

HoltHolt Posts: 972 Officer
Monterrey Redfish

This was actually a nice trout but still good.
Spray or oil a pan or dish for broiling.
Season fish well as desired( I used old bay last night)
Place fish in pan and spray or pat with butter.
Broil til just done.
Spoon salsa of choice over fish, type and amount varies each time I make it.
Broil again until salsa is hot.
Put some cheese on it...depends on how healthy you want to be?
Back under broiler to melt cheese.
Serve over rice, noodles, in tacos, on tortillas....I was good and put it on brown rice last night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,851 Moderator
    Nice!

Tomato and fish is often overlooked.

I do something similar, but I prefer a little firmer fish and I make a few changes. I typically get a really hot grill and put some good marks on (grouper, snapper, dolphin, redfish, cobia) and leave it raw in the middle. Then I come into the house and do the broiling routine just like you did. My favorite way to do it without going homemade is Pace Sauce (not salsa). I put that over most of the top of the fish and bake for a while and then go to broil. Once the fish is close to done you'll probably need to drain some water, then hit the broiler and once tomato starts to skim over I pull it out and hit it liberally with parmesan. That once broiled develops that nutty flavor as opposed to just cheesy. Do that till brown and bubbly and serve over a bed of rice. GOOD GOOD stuff.

Thanks for the reminder! Think I'm going to do this this weekend if we can get out there.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • HoltHolt Posts: 972 Officer
    Hey! Didn't realize post had been moved until today. I do a parmesan trout too but with butter, garlic and parm. The Monterray dish is heavy on the tomato to give you your veggie in the dish. Good point about the draining. I just try to be careful with the salsa and use a slotted spoon or drain it a bit as I am adding it. Didn't know my pic was so dark until it was too late:thumbsup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,088 AG
    How's that??
    Copied here, not moved.

Tomatoes are especially good with shark and oily fish. We found that smoking blues and macs that dipping them in some tomato based salad dressing was actually very good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Thanks Flashaboo! Much better! I took and posted the pic with my tablet. Prolly have some photo enhancing ability in here as well but danged if I know where yet. Just glad I can get a pic to the forum with it without transferring to the PC.

I have made that dish with Spanish too. I used hot salsa and it really complimented the oily flavor of the Macks. Also used sharp cheddar. This was served at the fish shack in Steinhatchee with the guys after a long day on the water and multiple libations back at the dock. It didn't phase them a bit...set up nicely for a fine cigar after eating. We had loaded the boat with macks that day and some of the guys didn't think they liked them....there were no leftovers. Served it up that night with Spanish rice, hard and soft taco shells, shredded lettuce, black beans, and green chili sauce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sounds like a great day on the water. Nothing better than cold light beers all day, then come home / dock for a shower / water hose, and then dinner and a real drink. Love it!
    My kind of living Pan. We have a big time down there several times a year when several of us can get a few days off together. All day just like you said. Come in and clean fish and boats then bodies. Fix dinner after fixing drinks. Guitars waiting on the deck with the cigars. Maybe an SEC football game in the fall. Don't get no better!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have one decent snapper filet left from this past Sunday. Think we're going to do this tomorrow night.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,243 Admiral
    Sounds like a great day on the water. Nothing better than cold light beers all day, then come home / dock for a shower / water hose, and then dinner and a real drink. Love it!

THIS!

I also do a version of this on the grill with foil bags, ingredients in order of the stack (from the bottom)

-Small, thin pats of butter (2)
    -thinly sliced lemon/lime
    -FAT slices of beefsteak tomato
    -Thinly sliced VIDALLA onion
    -thinly sliced red/yellow/orange bell pepper
    -1/2 tbsp of spice world minced garlic
    -Nice firm meat fish (snapper is best, mahi, grouper, even bleh tilapia in a pinch) I've even done this with king/spanish mac!
    -LOTS of coarse ground black pepper
    -Italian seasonings (you can use fresh if on hand)
    -Another slice of lemon
    -Then a nice big spash of italian dressing...don't be shy! (I like to use homemade-good seasons...but kraft will do)
    -Salt to taste

**You can add fresh japaleno to it if you'd like, this recipe is very versatile.

Wrap it up and throw on the grill, I usally grill peppers/onions over the direct flame and keep the fish to the sides. If you need to cook quick, these bags will be done in 6-7 minutes once the water releases from veggies/dressing

Take off the grill, cut one corner to drain just a LITTLE of the liquid. Then make a larger cut and dump the whole contents into an individual bowl of rice
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback