sanibel help

going to sanibel the last week of june. i will be staying @ the ocean's reach condos. just looking for some local input on some shore fishing action. will walking the beach be my best bet? any advice or pointers is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    Beach is great you can also try the pier and blind pass if it's open. Plenty of bait on the beach bring a net and bucket.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • bigyellowtunabigyellowtuna Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Will also be there in June and plan to walk the beach mornings. Fished at daybreak a few days walking the beach last Summer and only hooked some small jacks/baitfish tossing an xrap and spoon. There was bait everywhere, just never saw anything feeding on them. During Summer the snook should be around off the beach, they just didn't show for me last year.

This Summer I think I'll bring a mirolure of some sort since the xrap didn't do much last time. If any sanibel regulars can chime in, what are the best artificials for the beach fishing. Also, if giving live shrimp a try, what is the best presentation?
  • dtobiasdtobias Posts: 733 Officer
    I throw a Mirrodine sometimes, but most often I throw a 3"DOA Shad Tail in glow or white on a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jig head. Also, a 5" jerk shad type plastic on a weighted worm hook..3/0-4/0 1/8oz. works well...again in a glow or white color on the beach. If you move around to one of the passes or into the Ding Darling area, you can try some of the more natural color patterns. Good luck and enjoy your time in SWFL.
  • LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    I haven't fished Sanibel in well over a decade, but, I have caught a gazillion Snook with the Mirrolure MR-17, with and without the feather (I prefer without actually)
    http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s176/Dreads0518/Post3/P4270008.jpg

The Snook in the summer tend to work the trough right off the beach in most places on the west coast...

The Flair Hawk Jigs by Gulfstream Lures are very productive around lights and bridges at night...
    http://images.ebsco.com/bomberswg/bswghk_2w.jpg?w=600

Rent a boat from South Seas Plantation and make your way to Cabbage Key, and fish Redfish Pass on the way there and back...
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    I'll be there in the middle weeks of June. I'll net bait and fish the beach from when I wake up until 11ish, take a siesta, eat, hit the pier or pass (if it's open) in the evening. I'll also bring my kayaks and will fish off the beach and off the B span. Reservations for 10 days, plan on 9 days of fishing.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • mefullenmefullen Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    thanks for the info guys. cpr & byt, let me know how your trips go. the main purpose of my trip is 5 yr anniversary. i'm hoping to sneak in a little fishin' when i get a chance.
  • SonOfAGunninSonOfAGunnin Posts: 5,085 Admiral
    Be careful of swimmers if you're using braided line.
  • TlawsonTlawson Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I'm here now and there are a ton of snook on the beaches. I have been having luck at daybreak down by the lighthouse with spooks and rattletraps. I'm not a seasoned snook fisherman but I have been catching them pretty good this week on those baits. I watched Norm Ziegler catch 3 in about a 150 yard span on his fly rod today that was pretty impressive.
    thanks for the update tlawson. hopefully i'll get in on some of that action.
    any reports?