Autocad

13»

Replies

• gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Is this what you are using? Is it the state of the sport in your world?

Autodesk bought and killed every one of the more powerful alternatives they could acquire.

The closest thing we have to state of the art is Houdini. http://www.sidefx.com/

They all suck.
  • M.MagisM.Magis Posts: 203 Deckhand
    Solidworks is not a (good) 2D package, it's a fairly generic 3D package. That's why it's used by so many places needing 3D software, it's cheap. But I think most people that have used it and have also used a good package would tell you that you get what you pay for. It's the most inefficient jumbled mess I've ever had the displeasure to work with. It is easy, so that's a plus for a lot of places, not much training. But that's more than lost in how inefficient it is. If someone needs to do 2D work, they need AutoCAD. Anyone who suggests that Solidworks, or any 3D package, can do what AutoCAD can do clearly doesn't have a lot of experience.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    Ill bet its all a round and round proscess that repeats itself for the companys benefit in order to make more money by tweaking their product just a tad each time they need to make a profit of some kind or another.
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
    Popeye wrote: »
    Ill bet its all a round and round proscess that repeats itself for the companys benefit in order to make more money by tweaking their product just a tad each time they need to make a profit of some kind or another.

They charge us for features now.
  • PopeyePopeye Posts: 14,296 Officer
    So does Dish!
    When I was younger, I could remember anything...

whether it had happened or not.

Mark Twain
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG
    greggl wrote: »

1. Autodesk bought and killed every one of the more powerful alternatives they could acquire.

2. The closest thing we have to state of the art is Houdini. http://www.sidefx.com/

1. AutoDesk is good at that. As is Adobe, but get me started on that.

2. I have not heard of that one. Thanks.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • silvergsilverg Posts: 1,456 Officer
    I am using the 2013 infrastructure design suite now using mostly civil 3d. I'm been very pleased with the the stability with this version regarding bringing in shape files, google earth images and surfaces, speed, etc. Of course I think I have to send an eleven hundred dollar subscription fee next month.
    My kids are modeling in minecraft and 3d printing the models.

They play my old day job.
  • bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 354 Deckhand
    Why do you have your screen all junked up? Why don't you run two screens?

Too lazy to get a screen capture of both. 14 years of predominantly Microstation, Caice, Geopak and InRoads leaves me pretty fluent in their use. I can run AutoCad pretty well, but I don't care for it.
    bottomtime wrote: »
    Too lazy to get a screen capture of both. 14 years of predominantly Microstation, Caice, Geopak and InRoads leaves me pretty fluent in their use. I can run AutoCad pretty well, but I don't care for it.

Probably not after running the big boys.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • Accurate TwrsAccurate Twrs Posts: 1,992 Officer
    I'd love to find a copy of Autocad r14. yeah.. it's that far back... you know when you used floppies to instal the program.. i was pretty fast but i can't follow point to
    point from the keyboard... I installed Autocad too many times from the discs, it eventually wore out..
    Well... I didn't vote for him, So it must have been you... Thanks a lot A$$-hole..
    Acad 14 was the last version I used :)
    Gregg, you are sowing your age.........well sort of. Well, at least when you gave up......because 14 came out in 1997 or something like that.

Gregg, you are sowing your age.........well sort of. Well, at least when you gave up......because 14 came out in 1997 or something like that.

42. Started computing at 8. Hacker by 11. Member of the first social network/chat room - 1985.