GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,755 Admin
Need to buy a newer version. Ouch!! Had no idea how much it costs.:willynilly
The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz

Replies

• PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,289 AG
    I hate it, old or new
  • BnTBnT Posts: 6,644 Admiral
    Is that the program where you can design stuff?
    My cousin just did a pretty cool project on his truck with that in College.
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Sharky is always clocky, bnt is sometimes sharky,
    sharky is sometimes bnt, but bnt is never clocky
    yes, clocky, thats what it is
    Polar wrote: »
    yes, clocky, thats what it is

I thought so... I'm not clocky.. I'm sometimes sharky but never clocky.. sharky is always clocky and sometimes bnt.
    "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day... Don’t teach a man to fish…and feed yourself. He’s a grown man. And fishing’s not that hard"
    your choice!
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,979 AG
    :BUNNY gestapo

That was your best post on the forums ever.

followed closely by "you're choice"
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,187 AG
    Griz wrote: »

there are free programs out there that will write out as dxfs
    No political signature
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,662 Admin
    Why do you need a newer version? Mine is from 2000 and works just fine.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • Icecat21Icecat21 Posts: 634 Officer

Ouch indeed.

I use 2013 on a daily basis.
    IMHO, 2006 is still the best version.
  • CheechCheech Posts: 478 Officer
    I use 2006 with Land development desktop and don't think I will ever need anything better.
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,414 AG

Autocad has been a hose job for a long time. Since they have, oh, say, 90-percent of the market tied up in their "required" continuous upgrades, I don't see why the Sherman Anti-trust Act has not been brought down on them. They are definitely monopolistic.

Now with that said, if you are not doing solids modeling, then the 2D version is MUCH cheaper, but still expensive, about $1,200. Can you upgrade or is your version so old that AutoDesk will not even recognize the upgrade anymore?

I figure that putting the usury priced AutoDesk tools, ancillary plug-in programs and a competent machine in front of an employee is about $20K. I never upgrade until the client will not take the so-called "old" file format anymore.

Also, if you only need it for say one project, there is a 30-day free trial. You can export as a *.DXF file and print/use in an older version of AutoCad.

Also, you can rent now. Just pay as you go with 30-day licenses for when you need it.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
    Cheech wrote: »
    I use 2006 with Land development desktop and don't think I will ever need anything better.

This. The problem is AutoCad does two things: a) they give the software to agencies (and then us private folks absorb the cost of all those free and steeply discounted seats) and b) they change output file format organization occasionally.

"B" above drive the purchase of a new version when government clients (SFWMD or other local governments) state in the contract, "Files will be provided in AutoCad 2014 format," for example.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself. :blowkiss

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.
  • HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,470 Admiral
    people still use AutoCad???
    And the option is exactlyyyyyyyyyyy........what?

solid works? for starters
  • PhishbohnPhishbohn Posts: 2,978 Captain
    My brother uses it daily, ( draftsman ) it is ridiculously priced. ImHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson.
  • CheechCheech Posts: 478 Officer
    never heard of solid works, the people I send my surveys to want it in cadd. Sometime I have to save it back
    to and older version but that's no big deal.
    960235_10200499965795504_739765415_n.jpg
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Autodesk has given me ulcers.
    Polar, no wonder you hate AutoCad, you can't run it.

can too
  • PhishbohnPhishbohn Posts: 2,978 Captain
    Well I do like Autocad Sketchbook pro. About the only application I have any use for from them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG

Bless his heart.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • frankfrank Posts: 13,187 AG
    And the option is exactlyyyyyyyyyyy........what?

well if you want to pay more but have better than it's microstation
    if you want to do about the same for free there are many including google's sketchup (from trimble) and solid works
    No political signature
    solid works? for starters

I've heard of it. It works. It is typically used by industries outside of the civil engineering and construction industries. AutoDesk has done such an incredible job marketing into said markets their tools are used nearly exclusively, outside of the transportation industry (who likes a Linux-based application.) Further, I think Griz needs to use something - stand alone - for a cabinet shop so solidworks may work for him.

• J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    I got 2013LT for a grand less than a year ago. No 3D capabilities but fine for Arch/Construction 2d drawings
    full blown 2013 was around 3k and 2013 Architectural was over 4k!
    I've heard of it. It works. It is typically used by industries outside of the civil engineering and construction industries.

yea, solidworks is used by real engineers
    frank wrote: »
    well if you want to pay more but have better than it's microstation
    if you want to do about the same for free there are many including google's sketchup (from trimble) and solid works

Mcrostation is a beast! Definitely. Sketch up is not on par. Solidworks, maybe. Frank, I know you worked in the public sector for a long time did you REALLY know any office to use anything other than AutoDesk and ArcInfo, with the possible exception of Microstation-based Roadworks?

• gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    I'm all Maya.