where can i find redfish?!

i live in West palm beach, how far do i have to go to find redfish?

Replies

• anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    go up to ft pierce
  • evergladeskid243evergladeskid243 Posts: 269 Deckhand
    I agree, south ft pierce/ jensen beach area is where ull start to find them consistantly to the north, or u could go south to flamingo i suppose.
  • krashkrash Posts: 633 Officer
    Or west to Choko...
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 841 Officer
    I live in jupiter and fish Hutchinson Island around the Power Plant and North. I haven't been too successful with the Reds but seen a few taken in that area.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • anejo22anejo22 Posts: 1,511 Officer
    i fished south for 25 years choko flamingo for inshore and would hit wrecks down there for cobes and permit.i got on this fourm last year and saw insane reports from ft pierce area with monster trout and big reds.i got in my truck with my kayak and made a day of it driving up and down the coast didnt catch anything first trip but found a killer redfish spot.my second trip got 6 reds.i would say get out there and you will find them .if you can get to harbor branch work the flats around there and the docks south.i have fished all over and i have to say ft pierce has it all inshore and offshore.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    What nobody?

Nobody?

Fine I'll say it:

In the water!
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    In all seriousness, any inshore body of water will have redifish. It's just a matter of learning your area until you find out what they key on. You best bet is to start cruising along some sort of structural change in the water; whether it be a mangrove shoreline, oyster bar, dropoff, edge of a grass flat that turns into sand, points with lots of current, etc. I like to use long casting lures that can cover a lot of water with a simple retrieve: gold spoons, spinner baits, shallow diving crankbaits.

Another key is not to get stuck in a rut. Redfish WILL LET YOU KNOW if they're there and they're hungry. If you don't get bit within 20min, switch out at least one thing that you're doing. Retrieval speed/style, cut off and tie on something else, move to a different area, etc...

Good luck!
    Alex
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    "any inshore body of water will have redfish"

Not quite- all of Florida has them except most of Dade, all of Broward and Palm Beach. There are a few scattered reds in south Dade and north Palm Beach, but not enough to target them.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • mandaferretmandaferret Posts: 932 Officer
    It is nearly impossible to target reds in West Palm. They are pretty rare even in Jupiter. The intracoastal down there is pretty much just a channel of sand.
    You might want to re-post this in SE.
  • krashkrash Posts: 633 Officer
    bugdoc wrote: »
    "any inshore body of water will have redfish"

Not quite- all of Florida has them except most of Dade, all of Broward and Palm Beach. There are a few scattered reds in south Dade and north Palm Beach, but not enough to target them.

Bugs is right on, SE tri-county area is not teh answer, other than a 2 hour drive to Ft. Pierce, Choko, or Flamingo..
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • CookinmanCookinman Posts: 880 Officer
    Sebastian inlet at night in Dec/Jan - Its the American version of "The Running of the Bulls" Bring big gear, as all are overslot slobs