Home Sportsman's Kitchen

drying peppers

bmoodybmoody Posts: 987 Officer
I'm having trouble getting my homegrown peppers (cayanne and japaleno) to dry in my food dehyrator so that I can grind them. I know others on here do this -- any tips?

Replies

  • Lizardfish1Lizardfish1 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Thick skinned peppers won't dehydrate well
  • tagtag Posts: 8,914 Admiral
    Are you trying to dry them whole? If so you need to poke a hole into the pepper by the stem. That will help them dry on the inside. Or you can slice them into 1/2 inch slices. Since you're grinding them anyway I'd slice them and put them in the dehydrater in a single layer.
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Those are thin skin peppers and dry well. I run them at 145° - 160° and it takes an overnight. I also slice them into strips first. When they are done I leave some in the strip and grind the remainder into small chips. You can also check them in 10-12 hours and pull the ones that are already crispy and run the remainder longer.

    I also frees a pile of them and they work out real good. A good sharp bladed small food processor does a teriffic job. Coarse chop them and then freeze them in small 1/4 cup packages. I have some that are 3 years old and they are perfect ... just toss them in the pot roast, soup, etc.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • hossmosshossmoss Posts: 1,315 Officer
    I just smoke em, or not, then dry them real good in the oven. Then powder them up in the grinder. I have a convection oven that works good to dry them. I set it about 170 until they are nice and dry. Used to have a dehydrator but someone offered me good money for it during one of my garage sales. It had to go home with them. It was my wife's anyway.

    I have also set them on a rack or on a cloth in the sun to dry, but I split them first.


    CHEAP BAIT! Try our NE FL Bait Co-op: http://northeastfloridabaitcoop.com/

    2012 Cape Horn 31T with twin Yamaha F300s

  • BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 448 Deckhand
    I cut the stems off before I throw them in the dehydrater and haven't had a problem with them drying. Makes it easier to grind up too!
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • bmmcbmmc Posts: 75 Deckhand
    bmoody wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting my homegrown peppers (cayanne and japaleno) to dry in my food dehydrator so that I can grind them. I know others on here do this -- any tips?

    i dry datils every year to make a hot datil shake(shake datil & roll).we use it in place of salt.cut peppers in half & put them in dehydrator.one with a fan to circulate the air works best.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral
    this

    I cut the stems off before I throw them in the dehydrater and haven't had a problem with them drying. Makes it easier to grind up too!
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • md2626md2626 Posts: 107 Officer
    bmmc wrote: »
    i dry datils every year to make a hot datil shake(shake datil & roll).we use it in place of salt.cut peppers in half & put them in dehydrator.one with a fan to circulate the air works best.

    Know a good source for Datil seeds?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    First I slit them a little, then I turn on my electric smoker and run it with no water in the bottom....about 14 hours later all dried

    When I add smoke....I hit them with about 2 hours and then run the rest of the 14 hours.....Perfect every time.
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 987 Officer
    This time I dried them for 36 hours straight at a higher temp than the dehydrator calls for - they ground up great. I'm not sure this is a cost effective endeavor. Oh well, there is some fun involved.
  • md2626md2626 Posts: 107 Officer
    hossmoss wrote: »
    I just smoke em, or not, then dry them real good in the oven. Then powder them up in the grinder. I have a convection oven that works good to dry them. I set it about 170 until they are nice and dry. Used to have a dehydrator but someone offered me good money for it during one of my garage sales. It had to go home with them. It was my wife's anyway.

    I have also set them on a rack or on a cloth in the sun to dry, but I split them first.

    Do you prop the oven open when you do this? I do t have a dehydrator either and figure the oven is the best way to do it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sign In or Register to comment.