Replies

• TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Bro!

You know your stuff!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,221 Officer
    what are the coordinates to this wreck?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • michael.barnettemichael.barnette Posts: 52 Deckhand
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    what are the coordinates to this wreck?

I can't remember...
    :)
  • LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
    Take a look at OceanGate on Facebook and you'll see some of the wrecks we found with the help of D E R M.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,271 Officer
    Good work Michael !
    Giimoozaabi
  • dt-fishingdt-fishing Posts: 157 Officer
    Seems like there is plenty of baitfish down there, but not many large predators. Which does not surprise me out of Miami.
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,271 Officer
    I would agree that one would expect to see larger fish on a non published wreck in deep water, but its probably well known by the local charter boat fleet. However, tech divers (lIncluding Michael) have reported seeing quite a few big fish on other but larger artificial reefs in that depth range.

On Oceangate's You Tube site, they have some still photo's of the F6F Hellcat they located off Miami Beach in 2012. They do not give the exact depth of the plane, but the light is quite bright so its probably not over 350 feet. One of their still photo's shows a huge grouper on the Hell Cat. This fish does not look like a Goliath, since it does not have a rounded tail. Take a look at the photo and give your opinion on the ID of this big grouper. The Hellcat is also loaded with lion fish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOT1cvxbc6I&list=UUV90kzX_bwwndciTCbSsm9A
    Giimoozaabi
  • fasttimesfasttimes Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Wow, the amount of lion fish on that plane is insane.
  • hittin'_bottomhittin'_bottom Posts: 178 Officer
    give your opinion on the ID of this big grouper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOT1cvxbc6I&list=UUV90kzX_bwwndciTCbSsm9A

Warsaw
    I've upped my standards, now up yours!!!
    Some shots in that video look more like a goliath than a warsaw, but lighting and angles are bad. There definitely was a warsaw on the Hellcat based on other images on their website though:

Cheers,
    Mike
  • paspas Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Mike are those all lionfish??
    Yes. The deeper wrecks are covered in 'em...
  • LobstababeLobstababe Posts: 280 Deckhand
    I have a pic sitting down there and that day it was a goliath. There are other wrecks that have not been found with large grouper in the 225+. Clues - no trash, no fishing lines, no nothing.
    OG is coming back at the end of June to try and collect lion fish from the submersible. Should be a great experiment!