20130523 - Night Trip - Off Venice, FL

Left the dock about 11:00 hours. On board were Chuck from Mahi Macs bait Shop, Manny, Neil and Bob.

Stopped to sabiki blue runner, pinfish and speedos.

Started fishing for grouper at about 13:00 hours. The red grouper were biting, albeit rather slowly. Best depth appeared to be about 105'. They preferred frozen bait to live. After about 3 hours moved up to a grouper/snapper area. The snapper were biting well and we managed to find some schools of fairly large fish.

At about 18:00 decided to anchor for the night. After about an hour, the bite slowed and we moved to another location. Fishing was steady until about 23:00 hours, then it shut down completely. It started back up at 06:30 and I tussled with a large lemon shark for 20 minutes before cutting the leader.

All-in-all a good trip. Total catch 17 Red grouper to 30", 28 mangroves to 23", 6 yellowtails to 22" and 4 lane snapper to 18" and an assortment of porgies, etc.
DSCN0349_zpsa9fa4cb2.jpg

DSCN0356s_zpsb5778a6a.jpg

DSCN0347_zps94fd2572.jpg

DSCN0346S_zps3092bbdf.jpg

DSCN0345S_zps98b569b3.jpg

DSCN0344S_zps96512173.jpg

Replies

• GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    :USA
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,607 Moderator
    Have to talk some of my crew into a night bite on a full moon phase..So far no takers.
    thanks for the report.
    larrywitt
  • CalusaCalusa Posts: 11,881 Officer
    Greybeards rule!

Nice trip, nice boat!
    FS Forum member since January 4, 2003
    Member #12478
    Not a Jew
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Sounds like fun. Do you guys fish all through the night or do you actually sleep? Have never done an overnight trip but plan to do so at some point.

Congrats on a nice trip!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nfairbanknfairbank Posts: 266 Deckhand
    RMD wrote: »
    Sounds like fun. Do you guys fish all through the night or do you actually sleep? Have never done an overnight trip but plan to do so at some point.

Congrats on a nice trip!

Everybody got at least some sleep. I find that when the fish stop biting, one tends to sleep, so a good solid night bite and all the crew are awake. Overnights are great, but they need to be planned..
    larrywitt wrote: »
    Have to talk some of my crew into a night bite on a full moon phase..So far no takers.
    thanks for the report.
    larrywitt

me,me,me! :crossed
    Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!
  • HappyBobHappyBob Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Nice!!! 2nd that, nice boat, lots of room!
    Hap
  • surferjs01surferjs01 Posts: 184 Officer
    Looks like a nice over night trip!
    Follow me on instagram for daily catches! @surferjs12
  • JEIBEJEIBE Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Beats the heat. Larrywitt, I'm sure more than a handful on here would be takers