Staying in Estero need advice for a couple shore fishing and canoe Lover Key.

Staying at the Hyatt in Estero next weekend from Fri. - Sun. with my girlfriend and plan on doing some exploring and fishing in the area. I want to check out Lovers Key both for the sights and for the fishing. My girlfriend and I have a lot of experience fishing on foot and in a canoe which we will be bringing but this is our first time in the area and any tips would be much appreciated. Was thinking of getting some live shrimp or pins at the bait shop and walking the beach and then afterwards trying the inside with the canoe. Heard good things about the north pass(carlos pass?) but don't think I'll brave it on a canoe. We both love fishing but having a good time and avoiding the crowds is most important, if fish are caught it's a bonus. I have every piece of small craft fishing equipment imaginable so advice on cast netting bait or certain tides would be helpful, I'm already scoping everything out on google earth and will be purchasing a map too.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• troutducktroutduck Posts: 51 Deckhand
    There is a little creek right below the watertower that you can canoe to the beach from the road.
    New pass is accessible from the road and offers some fishing if you work your way out to the the pass. There is a dog beach and right next to it is a creek that goes up into Lovers Key that is a no motor area you could try.
    On the inside you can see the hotel. Between the road and the hotel there are some oyster bars and some grass. Just watch out for the crazy boaters and you should have lots of fun.
  • AlexNAlexN Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    These past two weekends I was successful at cast netting net fulls of greenbacks right in front of lovers key gulf side (from the main bridge in lovers key up to Big Carlos point. Look for the pods right up on the beach. This past weekend I wasn't really seeing the pods but they were there probably 5-15 feet from the beach. Fishing inside of Lovers Key is probably your best bet on your canoe or you could give the little bridges they have there a shot. As troutduck said, inside Lovers Key is a no motor zone so you wont have to worry about idiots on boats. Last year around this time I caught a 4 1/2' tarpon right off the small bridge using shrimp with a popping cork and just popping it every so often. Another option you could try is fishing from Big Carlos bridge, although I wouldn't go on you canoe as it's only no wake 100' from the bridge and would hate to see a story on here of you flipping the canoe xD. I've never been skunked there and have caught some serious fish. If you can, cast net greenbacks (shrimp will do though) and use them on a 2 ott circle hook with a weight that just brings you near the bottom; hard to say what size weight because it's always different. I've only really done well there when the current wasn't absolutely ripping through there. New Pass however, is no wake and from what I've heard is producing a ton of permit.

Both of these nice fish were caught off Big Carlos. The red was caught a last year on a incoming tide on the north side of the bridge, to the right of the drawbridge using a rootbeer DOA Terroreyz and just letting it sit in the current. The jack was caught two weeks ago on my boat using a Sebile stick shad. But we caught like 4 that day using all sorts of lures, they were killing anything we threw. They were also there the following week.

Good luck and have fun! ~ Alex
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    I feel like I have answered this question over a thousand times over this last weekend ,,,,,,,,,, bait is in the shore break on the beach from Naples to Sanibel , just stay in one spot for 15 mins and they will swim by you ,,,,,,,, canoeing is a great idea in Lovers Key , the back canal system that starts at New Pass and heads north through the park is a great spot , deep channels surrounded by foot high sand bars and grass flats along with moving water is what you can bet on , big tip hear is time the tides rite and you will not need to paddle and fish every point ,,,,,,,,,, but why go there when you are already staying at one of the best areas to launch from for Estero Bay , Coconut Point , Weeks Fish Camp (if there still open) will have bait and the Hyatt has a private ramp , Google it , the area is hot
    Tight Lines,
    J-Stick'um
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,875 Captain
    AlexN wrote: »
    New Pass however, is no wake and from what I've heard is producing a ton of permit.

Permit in New Pass?
  • fltsfshrfltsfshr Posts: 292 Officer
    Look at his picture, it's a jack cravelle.

Still lots of fun.

fltsfshr
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlexNAlexN Posts: 15 Greenhorn
    Sorry for the confusion. The picture I posted is a Jack Cravelle in which I caught at Big Carlos. I was reading through everyone's threads and saw Finsfan post, "Talked to some guys at Master Bait said they were slaying them with artificials at new pass." http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?111838-Permit-ose-n

I was actually planning on going to New Pass today to see if these "Permit" were still there but didn't get the time. I'm assuming someone misunderstood something some where.

Sorry again, Alex
  • JSTickumJSTickum Posts: 412 Deckhand
    AlexN wrote: »
    Sorry for the confusion. The picture I posted is a Jack Cravelle in which I caught at Big Carlos. I was reading through everyone's threads and saw Finsfan post, "Talked to some guys at Master Bait said they were slaying them with artificials at new pass." http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?111838-Permit-ose-n

I was actually planning on going to New Pass today to see if these "Permit" were still there but didn't get the time. I'm assuming someone misunderstood something some where.

Sorry again, Alex

Yeah , I made this mistake awhile ago aswell ,, their talking about New Pass up in the northern part of the SW section ,,,, down at the southern side of the SW section , I have been hearing alot of Pompano being caught off the beaches in the last couple of weeks but the bite is strating to slow , the big ticket over the weekeend has been the Snook on the beaches and around the passes , and the Spanny Macs just off the coast
  • redrocket1986redrocket1986 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    so when weeks closes what is a good kayak launch point that is close to big carlos pass? I never fished big carlos but from what i hear i need to.
    Hobie Outback ~TheRedRocket~
  • BinderBinder Posts: 3,875 Captain
    You can see a cut through the mangroves just above the red marker in pic. I would recommend not parking on the white sandy area to the left of the marker because on higher tides the water will flood part of that area. Also if you don't mind carrying your stuff a little ways you can park at the county parking area at the base of the bridge and lug your gear through the fence. This will put you in the pass without having to paddle around to the pass.

kayaklaunchforbigcarlospass_zps7b6ae890.jpg
  • MandMand Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    This advice is detailed and awesome!!!! We got complicated and are heading out late but will head to Lovers in the AM. Might fish day 2 close to the hotel like J Stickum suggested. No matter what I'll have a great time I love the west coast.

Tight lines